FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Hey guys,
The rack and pinion is leaking in my Volvo. I was told by the local mechanic the R+P needs ti be replaced. I lose 2-5 drops per day - not much, but stop-leak products don't seem to work. If the R+P needs replacing, is it easy to do? Are there any other things to look for that may be a cheaper way out? The car is for sale and I think I have a buyer for it. Everything else is top notch and the steering has leaked for about 2 years and never gotten any worse. I feel bad about selling the car with the leak - even though I know there are know problems with it...

Jon

Hello .. Depending on the year but rebuilt r&p are under $150. online w/lifetime warranty. www.jorgenauto.com has all sorts of rack and pinions, power steering pumps, steering gear boxes, etc. all with lifetime warranty. I installed one in my 1982 Volvo 240 3 years ago for $139. including shipping both ways! They offer a lot for a GOOD price-Good People! Point out this web site to future owner of your Volvo "if" the leak "ever" gets worse. Later Gary --Ggaryboy@aol.com

Thanks Gary!

It's a 1989 740GL BTW...

Is replacing a rack relatively easy? If so, for $150 I'd put the new rack in for the buyer - saves problems and so forth...

Jon

Hello Jon .. I think it's easy, similiar to installing front struts or universal joints. After installing rack the car will need to be aligned to complete the repair. The job should add about $250-500 towards the price of the Volvo when the job is done and future owner has receipt for the lifetime warr. Later Gary PS A couple days before the replacement arrives soak the lower swivel joint on steering column where it attaches and little bolt w/nut has a "tiny" cotter pin thru the nut. :)

Back