FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
47rider,
Sounds like an interesting problem(or problems). The sound you are describing as vibrations when you accelerate (but not an exhaust leak) sounds a lot like the problem I just had with my wifes car ('89 Volvo 740 - 175k miles). It turned out to be a transmission mount had rotted away and the tranny was sitting on the frame and vibrating. I thought it was exhaust at first. Even had the garage confused because they couldn't find my exhaust leak(That I so vehemently told them about). No clue on your rear hub. Hope this helps.

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio
(Am/Fm cassette head + 6-disc changer in the center console)
Rancho RS5000's

Universal joints tend to cause a variety of symptoms, under all kinds of driving conditions. And they have been known to cause vibrations, hums, rattles, and clunks.

------------------

91 Sport
"Drive it like ya stold it"

Alright here's the trouble I drive about ten miles a day since Im in school to class to the bar to taco bell back to my apartment prety much short stop and go trips.Ok yesterday on my way to get some food I noticed this rattleing noise coming from under the truck on aceleration know big deal it sounded like the heat shield.The next day on a similar trip I noticed a low rumbling noise it seemed most noticable on light aceleration,it is kind of like when you are coasting and you barely press on the gas the sound is realy noticable inside the truck but when I roll the windows down I cant seem to hear it outside.At first I thought it could be an exhaust leak but Im not shure it does have a mechanical sound to it also. Next on the same trip I started feeling a light vibration in the steering and under the truck it occurs under normal aceleration and coasting when I put it in neutral.It dosn't realy feel to me like it is coming from a specific wheel it feels more like a driveline problem.As I arived back at my apartment from my painful journey I could hear my pasenger side rear hub sqeeking this I was pretty certain of.Please help figure this one out it wouldn't be so bad but when I was driving I couldn't say that any of these things were related or that was how it felt to me. Sorry if I double posted but I forgot to say my 91 4dr EB is an automatic.

------------------
91 Eddie Buar
192,000 miles

Back