ps noise

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
The past few nights driving home from work i noticed my ps making a whine while driving. last night it was very noticeable. i checked the fluid a few mins ago and it was low.. topped it off, started the vehicle and cycled the steering wheel. I can see where there is some seeping around the line fittings and on the bottom side of the pump, but there is no drips or spray on the motor. I am thinking either the seals for the lines or the pump itself. It has been in the single digits here the past few days, thinking maybe there is condenstation in the fluid or maybe the fluid is just older and thick? any ideas? i really dont want to have to change the pump.. its COLD outside. ive been driving with my lift since may-ish and havnt had any trouble with the steering till the cold weather set in. any feedback is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way back when (like 97) my explorer was doing something similar. I can't remember exactly what was wrong (back when my grandpa still owned it), but it seems that I remember there being a valve in the power steering pump (or maybe at the bottom of the reservoir) that was replaced. Dunno if it could be this or not?

whats the fluid look like after you put some in ...little foamy ?

nah.. its not foamy so i dont think i have a hose leakin bc then it would be sucking in air, right? it was a little dark, level was low.. i added maybe 6 oz of fluid to get it back to the cold fill level in the jug. im thinking maybe its just the weather? could i be that lucky?

luck ? ...... tell you what i'll swap my idle issue for your power steering problem ....hows that :D ? ...at least with your problem you know where to deal with ....i have been trying to chase down my problem all day ....did find a vac leak but thats not it ..........

.....most likelly the cold tho for yours ,funny my problem only occurs when it's but ass cold outside to.....dam weather.......

im hopin its the cold and not the pump crappin out. i filled the 97 up with gas the other night.. its a little more comfortable to drive anyway. im gettin a little tired jumpin into my 93.. and my gf is complaining that it hurts her new tattoo to climb up in it, so for now i ride in ford leather luxury.

i have had the same whine in several ford vehicles. i found that Slick 50 power steering fluid will help make it quieter after having in in there for a month or two. don't over fill. take some out if you have to so you can pour the entire bottle in.

keep smilin............t

Back