• Register Today It's free!

Pulling EEC-V codes

dstig1

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 V8 AWD
I know this is a dumb question, but I really would like to confirm what I suspect. My other car is a '92 SHO, so I am familiar with EEC-IV and how to pull codes using the CEL. The '99 Explorer V8 is now throwing a CEL for the first time, and I went to pull codes but scratched my head as to how. From my readings here, the best I understand is that the ONLY way to pull codes on an EEC-V/OBD-2 car is via a scanner (of which there are many types), and the CEL light method no longer works.

Is this correct?

It seems like nobody has come out and said this point-blank, but it appears implied and/or common knowledge to most around here. Sorry, but I'm still stuck in the early '90's, I guess.

Thanks,
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why don't you just have Autozone pull the codes for you? You wouldn't have to buy an expensive scanner. I don't know if that CEL method would work on the OBDII vehicles. Even some scanners don't pull all of the codes that are vehicle/manufacturer specific.

Yes, a scanner is the only valid way to pull codes out of a OBDII vehicle.

-Drew

bump,

Is still the case w ford? I only ask for my you can check my 2003 chrysler with cycling the key on-off three times?

Back