• Register Today It's free!

purchase question

David Eads

Reaction score
City, State
Somerset
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 F150
i am looking at a 2017 explorer xlt at my local dealer. after comparing several xlt models locally, i decided to check out other dealerships in a larger city approx. 75 miles north. i found better deals in this larger metropolitan area. do some dealerships get better deals through ford or ford credit, or am i just being held hostage in a small town. i figure there's just more competition up there. thanks for the replies

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot of it is the volume of vehicles that they sell where they can cut prices a little more than the smaller dealer.

When I bought my 16 last summer the big city dealer price was way better than the small town dealer so I bought it in the big city.

I believe all dealers get the same prices, I would guess it more about competition in an area with multiple dealers. Maybe tell the local dealer what the difference in price is and see if they can get the pencil a little sharper.

Dealers pay the same but volume dealers do get more of a kickback/bonus at end of month based on volume sold.

Thanks for the quick reply. Loyalty is great, but I'm not sure if it extends to 5 years of higher payments

I believe all dealers get the same prices, I would guess it more about competition in an area with multiple dealers. Maybe tell the local dealer what the difference in price is and see if they can get the pencil a little sharper.
Thanks

Dealers pay the same but volume dealers do get more of a kickback/bonus at end of month based on volume sold.
thanks for your help.

All dealers pay the same factory invoice price, but high-volume dealers may benefit by getting better holdbacks and definitely benefit by getting higher allocations of popular vehicles. When buying a new vehicle, I've always negotiated my cost starting with the dealer's invoice price.

I actually got a better price outside of the city, compared to the largest volume dealer in my city.
It was actually a better buying experience, no hassle, no pressure and was all done via email and I just had to go in and sign the paperwork.

Better buy several at the same dealership or get an extended warranty. Tranny went out on our 2013 at 80,000 miles and FOMOCO told me that any issue beyond their written warranty would be a dealer decision. Only way Ford willlaccept an implied warranty issue (like transmission lasting longer than tires) is if your loyalty score is more than 82%. Seems we had no chance for that because we bought the Explorer while in NM and now living in KS.

I don't see my loyalty score for Ford ever going up. To many good experiences with Toyotas.

Better buy several at the same dealership or get an extended warranty. Tranny went out on our 2013 at 80,000 miles and FOMOCO told me that any issue beyond their written warranty would be a dealer decision. Only way Ford willlaccept an implied warranty issue (like transmission lasting longer than tires) is if your loyalty score is more than 82%. Seems we had no chance for that because we bought the Explorer while in NM and now living in KS.

I don't see my loyalty score for Ford ever going up. To many good experiences with Toyotas.
Welcome to the Forum Jeff.:wave:
I've never heard of a "loyalty score" before. I wonder if that is just a U.S. thing? As my signature shows I've had 3 Toyotas and 4 Ford products and had excellent experiences with all of them.

Peter

I think that the "loyalty score" is dependent on how many new Fords that you buy.

Mine is quite low, I purchase my vehicles new and keep them a long time so Ford doesn't make that much money off of me.

Only way Ford willlaccept an implied warranty issue (like transmission lasting longer than tires) is if your loyalty score is more than 82%.

Never heard of this.

Never heard of this.
I got that from a Ford Service Manager - It doesn't really mean anything though unless someone else knows how they calculate it. I can say buying a new car from them and having all the service work done at Ford and having bought several pre-owned Fords from the same dealer are not enough.

Back