Purge canister solenoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purge canister solenoid?

Alex from GA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
'94 Ranger 4.0. Have a 565 code. Where do I find the purge canister and the solenoid and what can be wrong with it/them? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solenoid is located under the Upper Intake and behind the Throttle Body. There is a vacuum fitting there there and the Solenoid is behind that with a hose exiting to the Drivers side where the rectangular Charcoal Canister lives. It functions to burn fuel vapors in the engine that are collected in the charcoal canister by opening the solenoid during hiway running. Solenoid is normally closed.

I found the canister and the solenoid. It is on the driver's side under the battery and the solenoid is a couple of inches to the rear of it. The hose from the canister to the solenoid was rotten so I replaced it and the 565 code went away but a couple more came up.

good job, what other codes came up?
The canister purge solenoid "opens" under wide open throttle and allows fuel vapors collected in the charcoal canister and top of the fuel tank to be burned in the engine via the plumbing into the throttle body.

In nosing around today I found a jumper on the OBD 1 connector to a single wire. I removed it and have no codes. Do you know the length of the battery cables and where to get them. The negative has 4 leads and the + has 2.

Back