Question about codes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about codes.

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger XLT
Hey guys. i just got a ford ranger with a 5.0L explorer engine in it. the check engine light is on and i checked it and its the speed sensor and the egr. does anyone know of something that i can do to clear it from my computer.
thanks,
prerunninranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can clear the codes with a code reader (e.g. CanODB2) that is readily available in most auto parts stores, or Autozone will read and clear the codes for you for free. It is best to record the actual numbers of the code for reference if they come back...

...the BEST suggestion I can offer is to diagnose the reason for the codes and do the appropriate fix. Clearing the codes is simply like an ostrich burying its head in the sand. And all too often a cheap fix can turn into an expensive one if you don't handle it right away. Especially if it is a serious one.

I've tried to just clear the codes but after like 10 miles it pops back up. Someone told me to send in my computer and have like a firewall put in so it dosent pop up any more.

I've tried to just clear the codes but after like 10 miles it pops back up. Someone told me to send in my computer and have like a firewall put in so it dosent pop up any more.

You obviously have a problem that needs to be fixed if it keeps popping back in. You make no mention of the specific code, so there is no way we can begin to help you without it. The codes are very helpful to let you know which part is failing. I am completely baffled a to WHY you would want to block codes from showing up, unless you don't care about the car or how it runs. As before, fixing the problem now will save you a lot of headaches later.

But i DID fix it. I replaced the egr sensors, wires, and all the other **** that goes with it. its the engine. i did a engine swap. there was a v6 in it. i put a v8 in it and i used the computer from the ranger because there were too many problems with the explorer computer. and if i didnt care about my car i wouldnt have posted anything on this forum

But i DID fix it... if i didnt care about my car i wouldnt have posted anything on this forum

I'm sorry... I thought you said you just "checked" them in your first post. Have you checked the DPFE too (if your car has one). That is a cheap and simple part to replace and I've found them to fail on a couple of explorers.

Is it also possible that in the engine swap one of the sensor wires wasn't connected or broke? And are you sure that the computer is the same for the combination of engine and transmission? It could also be that the expected inputs aren't getting the proper information and it is throwing a code because of it.

im not sure about the computer. the guy who i got the explorer from was pretty sketchy. i have a 2000 explorer engine. would the DPFE be on that. if so where at. im not really a ford guy. my mom had a dodge and so did everyone else around me.

The V8 is a GREAT engine with plenty of power. I'm a Ford guy, so no experience with other makes. What I CAN tell you is that the car is actually quite nice to work on...

The 2000 V8 does have a DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor, which could be erroneously giving you the EGR error code. Here is a link to the part at Autozone:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-EGR-Valve-Pressure-Sensor/2000-Ford-Explorer-AWD/_/N-jqaalZ93y2i?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=DPFE&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=195712_198472_0_

Not expensive, but you can also check a local auto salvage yard and swap one out to do a test. But then again these parts are known to fail, and it is probably better to get one new especially if one from a yard is also bad. In other explorers I've worked on, the part was mounted on the firewall in the rear of the engine compartment.

Also, as far as the speed sensor is concerned, are you referring to the VSS sensor in the transmission? I believe that the sensor helps detect a bad torque converter when when engine RPM's and the expected transmission speed are mismatched. That could be caused by the computer expecting an input that isn't there if it isn't the right engine/transmission combination. If that is the case, you may be able to safely ignore that one.

Curious

I have no first hand experience with the Ranger but from what I've read in 2000 it came stock with either a 2.5L SOHC I4 or a 4.0L OHV V6 and a M50D-R1 or a 5R55E. Yours apparently had the Cologne V6 and probably the manual 5 speed. The Explorer 5.0L OHV V8s all were EFI and mated to the 4R70W automatic. I'm curious how the Explorer 5.0L V8 could possibly function with the Ranger V6 PCM. The PCM controls fuel injector and ignition timing. Was the V8 converted to carb and adapted to the manual 5 speed?

I'm curious how the Explorer 5.0L V8 could possibly function with the Ranger V6 PCM. The PCM controls fuel injector and ignition timing. Was the V8 converted to carb and adapted to the manual 5 speed?

Thanks for the input... I believe he took the computer from the Explorer. So if the computer is looking for a VSS sensor input from the 4R70W it won't be there in the Ranger transmission.

its an automatic tranny. it runs perfectly except for some rusting problems but the egr and the speed sensor pop up on the check engine light. its just the computer not "talking" with the truck.

Back