Question about front brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about front brakes

SWADE23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EDDIE BAUER
I was hoping someone could shed some light on a question I have.
I havent changed the brakes on my 96 ex in a long time.... I changed both the rotors and pads this past weekend.
After removing the bolts that hold the caliper to the brake assembly and removing the caliper, I took a look at the hole where the bolt screw into top and bottom. Its the hole that has the rubber around it. And while checking it out i was able to remove a cylinder looking tube that the rubber was actually attached to that the caliper bolt screws into from the brake assembly (does that make sense?)
I was able to remove these "tubes" on both front brake assemblies. So I kinda thought it was a normal thing... These tubes were greased up with no sign of abuse, snapping, twisting etc.

I changed the rotors installed new pads put the cylinder thingies back in the hole they came out of, bolted the calipers back into these cylinder thingies and finished the job. pumped the brakes with the car off... all was well... start the ex, go back in forth in the yard again all is well... hop onto the street, i hit 30-40mph hit the breaks, again, all is well... I have been driving the truck normally since and no issues...
Its so weird that this tube came out the assembly... never seen this b4...

My question is.... Should I be worried.... Im a do-it-yourself kinda guy and been doing various repairs on cars for years.... last time I changed breaks on the ex was maybe 2 yrs ago so I dont remember.... HELP!

Nothing to be worried about, that tube should be greased up, your caliper slides on that when you press and release the brakes.

If the rubber boot on the ends were ripped, it could get dirt in the grease and ultimately if could start to rust the tube. With either rust or to much dirt it could cause a sticky caliper.

If the boots were fine and were greased up good, no need to worry. I did my brakes this weekend as well but I pulled the tubes out and re-greased them.

@ BigPip
Thanks for the info... I so wasnt sure... Truck brakes fine though... And yea They were greased up and the rubber boots were a ok!

Thanks again!

Back