Question about front end squeak and sway bar... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about front end squeak and sway bar...

epv02

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here....looks like a great site!

I brought my 2003 Explorer with 60K miles in for a few issues plus a squeak in the front end that happens when I go over speed bumps or hit the brakes during low speeds which causes the front end to dip. The sound is similiar to a squeaky spring. The dealer told me today that I need new front sway bar bushings.

My question is...can the bushings be simply greased on a 2003 or is it advisable to replace them like the dealer is stating? How hard is it to replace the bushings if this is what you really think I do need? I'd like to avoid the $220 that they want to charge me.

Thanks!!

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do it yourself its very easy and there is write ups with pictures on this site and best of all it will be less the $50.00 :D

Mine did the same thing. All I did was take the bushings off...clean them up and lube them whith chassis grease. Put it all back together and no noise.

Yeah its rather simple. I went ahead and bought new ones. Just have to unbolt the clamps that hold the bushing (and sway bar) to frame, slide the old bushings off and toss on new ones. I also suggest cleaning the sway bar and frame where the bushing goes. Mine hasn't squeaked yet. I think my rear ones are going to need to get done sometime soon too. The rears are harder to get to unfortunately.

I just douse mine down with WD 40 every few months or so. Cheap and easy.

i replaced mine for under 40$.

I tried the wd 40 deal, but that isnt no good for rubber.

If you are on a budget, take them off , clean and re grease them and see what happens.

But i put some new ones in and havent had a issue since.

Back