Question about the message center & AutoLamps. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about the message center & AutoLamps.

Dennis94XLT

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
My message center has a command to set auto locks on or off and to set the compass but it doesn't have one for autolamp light timer control. I'm wondering what triggers that message center to know which features to show or not show. (For example: If I removed power to the compass system, would it disappear from the message center as a programmable option?) I am going to add the autolamp system and try to keep it as factory original as possible. I traced the wires - and my vehicle appears to already have all the wiring there and ready to use. It already has the wire that goes from the headlight switch (autolamp position) to the VSM. The wire from the photosensor on the dash is also already there.
I need to replace the light switch on the dash to one that has the autolamp choice - and then when I chose it, it will send the correct signal (which is 12V+) to the Vehicle Security Module (the VSM is responsible for reacting to the signal and turning on the lights - it's the vehicle security functions module obviously but also controls the autolamps and other functions.).

My question is: how do I get the autolamp delay function to show up on the message center? Does the car detect what equipment it has installed when it's started and then activate those features on the message center or do I need to have Ford program something to tell the car that it has autolamps? I know I can add an aftermarket system, but I'd rather keep it as original as possible so I don't get hassled about warrantee claims later and so it works like it's supposed to work without any strange glitches from adding on circuits not made for the truck.

The way the autolamp circuit works in a 2005 Explorer is - a 12 volt signal is sent to the Vehicle Security module when the light switch is in the autolamp position. This voltage is there all the time when the light switch is in the autolamp position regardless of whether or not the lights are actually on or off. The little alarm light up in the center of the dash also has an optical sensor that is sensitive to light and it sends a signal to the vehicle security module to tell it if it's dark enough to turn on the lights or not. The vehicle security module has a relay that triggers when it's dark outside according to that dash sensor and that turns on the lights. As a side note - if you push your remote button (the red one) to find your car and the lights come on - it's the vehicle security module that is causing this to happen.

All that said - changing the light switch to the right kind should enable the autolamp system as the wiring is all there, but I did a test that makes me wonder if I'm missing something. I pulled the plug off the back of the light switch and jumpered the full time 12 volt pin to the autolight "on" wire - then covered the dash sensor - turned on the key - no lights came on. I also went through the message center screens and didn't find the command to set the autolamp delay. (I was hoping that message center feature would turn on after seeing there was voltage supplied to the autolamp "on" wire at the light switch.).

Does anyone know more about this circuit to tell me what I'm missing? Also - for those of you that do have autolamp factory systems, can you tell me if the message center autolamp delay feature is an accessible option even when the headlamp switch is in the off position or do you have to set the light switch to autolamp "on" before the message center controls will show the autolamp delay setting? I'm hoping I can get this work 100% factory and your answers will help.

Why didn't I just buy an explorer with it? I couldn't find one with it and the other features I wanted and it was too late to order one. I got every other option I wanted and figured I'd be able to add this last feature myself if I read enough in the tech manual and asked enough questions.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I will keep posting so that once I have this working - all of you will be know how I did it. So far, it appears to be much easier to get this working than it was in earlier explorer modles. I need some of these questions answered for those of you that might already know the answers to.

Thanks everyone!
Dennis

Can't you just go to it by pressing "setup" till you get to it? I did mine, and you hit "setup" and get the language menu, then autolock, then easy exit seat, then headlamp delay. Press "reset" till you get it to the desired length of delay.

Bump

BUMP REQUEST!
This little project is exactly what I have been trying to do lately ( the wife likes the auto lamp feature) ...

I have an '05 XLT w/o auto lamps. My now decommissioned '03 had them and I have that vehicle for parts. Pulled the switch from '03, installed in '05... nuthin'.

What to do?

Would a swap of the VSM from '03 to '05 do the trick?

Back