Question about upgrading stock system. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about upgrading stock system.

evankstudent

Reaction score
City, State
Co,MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996-EXPLORER awd-ltd-v8
Ok, so ever since I installed my head-unit, the back sub has been disabled (happens to all explorers?)
in case you're interested, my project...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=219807&goto=newpost
I failed somehow.
Well, I never got the sub to work, so I'm thinking about taking it to a shop and just buying a new sub/(maybe) door speakers, and having them install.
I have an upgraded head unit so it can support higher power door speakers. What I'm wondering is how expensive it would be on average to install a small 6-10inch sub, and get new door speakers. Nothing top of the line, but just something to replace the stock speakers. stock is lolololol after 13 years of use. I'm also gonna go for some light window tints, none atm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remote lead for the amp.

You should have a three-wire connector going to/from the subwoofer amp. The wire colors should be: BR/O, R/BK, and DG/P.
The BR/O is audio (-) pin 5 of the connector
The R/BK is audio (+) pin 6
The DG/P is Enable High audio mute (+) pin 2 which may be either a +5vdc or a +12vdc signal. I don't have a factory sub so I can't test it.

i would like to apologize for the fact that no one answered your question. however they were trying to be helpful
do you want the shop to use the stock sub location or another box?
new speakers- diy--- $50 - $150 depending on brand for full set
audio shop--- price of speakers+install charge of $25-$100 most shops run on a base-rate price system because they know what a job like this takes
sub $60 and up for sub then new amp ~$75 - $200
if you want a box (not using factory location) - build it 4'x8' mdf ~$20-$25 - + screws & sealer & carpet
or - pre-fab ~$25 - $150

these are estimates but if you put in the Head Unit you can handle the speakers so i'd definitely diy also you said nothing top of the line so thats the estimates i gave you
my bottom of the line price is $500... includes HU, 4 speakers, 1 amp, 1 sub in box, installed... but thats what i charge for baseline
i do installs on the side

and unless you love your HU i'd look at getting one with pre-amp out makes life a lot eaiser

Back