Question on Engine Conversions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on Engine Conversions

Hey everyone,

I have a 1993 XLT 4WD with a 4.0 V6... It is nearing the end of it's life, it has 195,000 miles on it. My dad thinks I should just have the engine rebuilt, but I want to upgrade to a V8. My question is, is there enough engine compartment room for a V8?

Also, if I stick with a 6, can I put a 2000 V6 into it? The reason I ask is I can get a 2000 V6 for $2600 from a friend who just recently put a new engine in his 2000 XLT because he wanted a super charged 6.

One of the local shops wants $5300 for a 2000 V6 on it, so $2600 definitely looks good to me.

Which way do you guys think I should go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't say on the new V-6, some say it is a good engine, I do not know.

The 5.0L V-8 on the other hand is a great conversion and with the available adapters is close to a snap to install.

Adapter are available from Adanced Adapters, Duffs Enterprise, Kauphman(sp) and my favorite L&L Products.

L&L has a kit for both teh engine adapting and the a kit for the accessories to mount them closer to the engine for more clearance up front to allow for an engine run fan. The engine kit has all the mechanical parts required I do not think there is a kit for the electrical.

Plan about $4000.00 for the swap and that may conservative. Maybe less if you have some of the parts already or if you can pickup parts cheaper.

The 5.0L fit well, the 351ci V-8 is too tall and wide and creates problems.

Good Luck,

If the 2000 V-6 you are talking about is the OHV and not the SOHC it would be a real easy swap, but I don't know of anyone who has done the SOHC swap. The wiring is probably really difficult and I don't know of any adapters available for that swap either.

if i was you i would check into the v6 even if it is the sohc. the wireing cant be that different. you may only need to buy the lower harness(harness for all the sensors) and a few extra sensors and of course the newer computer. i would tag on an extra 1500 to the engine price for harnesses and the like and you got a complete bolt up project. ive seen the newer computers and their the same as the older ones they just have differant programming and diagnostics. check the wireing diagram of a newer x to see what is needed to do the v6. the v8 is hard to fit and requires alot of custom work to get it in arround all the obsticals.

From what I heard the SOHC is much taller than the OHV or the 302 thus creating problems fitting the engine.

Steve

yes the engine(heads) are taller to fit the cam there instead of in the block but it has a very low profile intake plentum like the 4.6 in the mustang. the hood profile of the new x's are the same as the old ones and the block dimensions are close to the same as the old ohv. if he as a complete sohc to use there is no reason that he couldnt swap out the computer and harness and use the sohc.

Back