Question: Opening the tailgate w/o the handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question: Opening the tailgate w/o the handle

Ok, the tailgate on my Ex right now is rotted to hell. I have a new one and I am just about ready to put it on. The problem is that the tailgate that is rotted does not open. I think the bars which pull the two latches open became rotted and broke. My only option right now is to take and cut it open. So my question is, can you pull the trim back from the inside, without the gate being open?

Anyone?

just the handle is busted on mine, i just reach in the hole on the outside(where i took off the handle) and pull down on the threaded rod with a pair of pliers.

but it sounds like yours is busted closer to the latches on either side. i'm pretty sure you can reach each rod after taking off the inner panel. clamp a vise grip on either side to whatever is left, and pull them both toward each other at the same time and kick the hatch with your feet.

and yes, you can get the panel off from the inside (otherwise i never would have been able to get mine open after the handle broke)

I got it to open today. After pulling of the trim from the inside, I studied the latch. It wouldn't budge in either direction. I then released each rod by these yellow tabs that where connected to the latch.

I pulled and pulled and then pulled some more. Almost to the point where I thought either the bars would snap or my vise grips where gonna lose the grip, fly off, and pop me in the nose or mouth. I soon realised that I was doing it completely wrong. You need to push each vise grip towards the outside of the truck. With a slight push on both bars.... the latch popped right open!!! That of coarse after I worked up a good swet... pulling.

Back