Questions about installing my amps. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about installing my amps.

xekrubx

Reaction score
City, State
Nashua NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I decided to install my subs and sub amp and maybe my 4 channel speaker amp. The subs and amp will be straight forward. I have some questions about the 4 channel. I learned today I have the factory amp. I installed my deck and got no sound until I connected a remote wire from the deck to the blue wire on the power harness adapter. To me this is good news. That means the factory amp in the rear of the truck has speaker wires running from the rear into the doors. And I hate snaking wires into doors. My amp isn't super powerful and I imagine the existing speaker wires are 16 gauge at the smallest. The amp is only 100 watts peak per channel so that size wire should be fine. I haven't even looked at the factory amp yet. I'm wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram or knows which colors go to which speakers. Ive been searching for a few hours now before posting this question and haven't found a straight answer. Im sure someone here has used this method before on these trucks. Its not much different than the method of using 4, 8, and 9 lead cables going from a trunk to behind the deck. If nobody really knows Ill figure it out and make a how to.

Oh I may have found it.

LF Speaker (+) ORANGE/LT. GREEN
LF Speaker (-) LT. BLUE/WHITE
RF Speaker (+) WHITE/LT. GREEN
RF Speaker (-) DK. GREEN/ORANGE
LR Speaker (+) PINK/LT. GREEN
LR Speaker (-) TAN/YELLOW
RR Speaker (+) ORANGE/RED
RR Speaker (-) BLACK/WHITE

Back