Questions about What Sport Trac to get?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about What Sport Trac to get??

rawb4291

Reaction score
City, State
West Paris
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport trac
I got rid of my explorer sport now I'm Looking to buy a 01-05 Sport Trac in the near future. i would like to see if i can get some feedback on what to look for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

like what package should i get?whats the diff in the years 01-05?i know the body style is the same but is everything else the same too.i like to listen to music so im looking for a ST with a good stock stereo.has anybody know what the adrenaline package consists of?

01 to 05 are mostly the same except for like flooring color stereo and the adrenaline were produced in the 07to10 year range do you want it for offroading or pavement queen ?

01to05 packages do offer the Bose 6 disc changer and factory 8in sub which is actually nice

im looking to build my ST for the road & offloading. kind of like a 70/30 split. but i want to get the package with the most (best) options. i dont really like the way the speakers look in the 03-05 versions so im thinking of sticking w/the 01-02. im thinking of doing aa tt with 2"warrior shackles. 33" mud tires other than a tt is there any other way to lift the front of the rig. should i replace the stock shocks as soon as i get my ST?

Get a V8 version that's my vote. Other wise at least a Job 2 and higher.

im looking to build my ST for the road & offloading. kind of like a 70/30 split. but i want to get the package with the most (best) options. i dont really like the way the speakers look in the 03-05 versions so im thinking of sticking w/the 01-02. im thinking of doing aa tt with 2"warrior shackles. 33" mud tires other than a tt is there any other way to lift the front of the rig. should i replace the stock shocks as soon as i get my ST?

Early '01s are what is called a Job 1 and some of the engine parts are different, although it is not a big deal. '03-up have four wheel disc brakes, well worth it in my opinion. AAL/TT lift still won't clear 33" muds unless you do a body lift or use narrow 33's like a 33x10.50-15. I would skip the AAL since Tracs are sprung-under so lift would be minimal, do a 1.5" TT and Warrior shackles, 2" body lift, and 33x12.50-15's on a 15x8 wheel with 3.75" backspace. The only true suspension lift kit is from Superlift but it is pricey and I keep hearing off and on that it is being discontinued. Well, there is Dixon Brothers but if you think Superlift is expensive then you don't want to know about Dixon Brothers. :eek:

If you want to 'froad it, plan on putting in a rear True Trac or Powertrax if it doesn't have a factory limited-slip.

Replace the shocks unless they look like they've been replaced already. The originals are way too soft even when new.

Look in the drivers door jam for "Axle Code" D2. This is 4.10 gear ratio with limited slip which will be best for 33's

Get a V8 version that's my vote. Other wise at least a Job 2 and higher.

I got rid of my explorer sport now I'm Looking to buy a 01-05 Sport Trac in the near future. i would like to see if i can get some feedback on what to look for.

They didn't make a v8 first gen ST

Noted changes over the years:

"Midway through the 2001 model year, the engine design was changed. The "Job 1" 4.0L SOHC featured an alloy intake manifold. This was changed to a composite manifold in June 2000, and the oil filler cap moved from the driver side to the passenger side of the engine. In the middle of 2002, many changes took place. First, the "Explorer" badging was removed from the doors, and the "Sport Trac" badge on the tailgate was changed from red and white plastic to chrome. Trim levels were changed XLS and XLT, and the B-pillars were now color keyed instead of black. The rear brakes were changed from drums to discs, and the fuel tank capacity was increased from 20 to 22 gallons (75.7L to 83.3L). The tachometer was changed to a digital style, and the headlights dial and dimmer switch were given their own plastic plate surrounding them. For the 2004 model year, the bumpers and side skirts were changed to a darker gray color, and the option for factory color matched painted bumpers was added, as well as a new instrument cluster with digital odometer."

Thanks everybody for the help. im trying to get all the info for my ST before i get it so i can be on the right trac.lol. how hard is it to do a body lift. is this something i could do with a couple friend or do i need a garage to do it? if i do the body lift, shackles, tt how much total lift would that be? and how much ground clearance would i get out of it?

Honestly I think you'd be better off with an 03-05 with 4 wheel disc brakes. They won't have a red sport trac badge on the tailgate. Instead it's silver and there was xls and xlt models. If you want a better sounding radio without doing anything aftermarket look for an adrenaline or an xlt with the pioneer head unit. It's not that hard to make it sound better though. I replaced my door speakers with some polks and the sound quality is much higher even with factory sub and HU. You will be able to stuff 33s with just a TT and shackles but you will not be able to flex at all. If you plan on doing a BL which isn't terribly difficult then I'd say get the 33s, trim a little, and stay on the pavement until you get te BL in. The hardest part with that is breaking the body mount bolts loose as they tend to be a little rusty and hard to grip the bottom pucks to keep them from spinning. I did it with the help of my dad in our workshop and used a big pipe wrench to keep the lower pucks from spinning.

my vote 03-05 XLT or higher with pioneer stereo or at least the premium ford sound system. the D2 axle code for the 4.10 limited slip.after those options its up to you.

4.10 gears and find a manual trans. The auto trans sucks in these trucks. (fords period imo). And like others said job 2. I thought they all came with 4 wheel disks but I would be sure to get 4 wheel disks. (much easier/cheaper in the long run) These are really good trucks and you will be happy with your purchase. I'm around 95k miles now with no problems yet, knock on wood.

you guys helped me make my choice. its gonna be a 03-05 sport trac. i dont care too much about the stereo system because im gonna to be taking the whole stock system out and installing an aftermarket one.

Like everyone said, try to get your hands on a job 2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't the job 1 trace have the "self contained" tranny, the one lacking a dipstick? Try to get one with 4.10 gears, and the tranny cooler.

the sport trac i have in mind is a 04 ST xlt adrenaline package 3.73 axle ratio, center locking diff.im not familiar with the center diff lock. has anyone had this on a ST? if so could you explain how it works?Is it like Detroit lockers where all 4 tires will spin?

the sport trac i have in mind is a 04 ST xlt adrenaline package 3.73 axle ratio, center locking diff.im not familiar with the center diff lock. has anyone had this on a ST? if so could you explain how it works?Is it like Detroit lockers where all 4 tires will spin?

All 4x4 Gen 1 Tracs have a center diff lock. It is just a conventional 4wd transfer case that you lock in 4-Hi or 4-Lo. Some regular Explorers of that vintage will have an all-wheel-drive or 4-Auto transfer case that you can run on dry pavement. '01-'05 Sport Tracs do not.

The following will not apply to you because you are looking for a Gen 1, but '07-'10 Sport Tracs, aka Gen 2, have the 4-Auto transfer case that runs in 2wd until the computer detects wheel slippage and then it kicks the front axle in. You can also lock it in 4-Hi or 4-Lo, except in Adrenalin models.

ya my 98 explorer sport had the auto 4wd and the 4hi 4lo switch.personally i didnt like it because you have to rely solely on the computer to kick in 4wd when its set to awd.id rater have the option that the gen 1 sport trac has. whats a good price to pay for a 03-05 ST?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my Trac and the way the exteriors look just hate the cheep looking interiors most of them have.

Back