Questions about What Sport Trac to get?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about What Sport Trac to get??

honestly i would stick a set of eddie bauer seats in my trac if i could ever find a good set

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like everyone said, try to get your hands on a job 2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't the job 1 trace have the "self contained" tranny, the one lacking a dipstick? Try to get one with 4.10 gears, and the tranny cooler.

My '01 Job 1 has a tranny dipstick. Also runs great. Only thing on my wish list from the later models is disc brakes but even that's not a big deal to me.

Depending on mileage and condition, I'd say you're looking anywhere from $4k to $11. I know that's a big range but I've seen prices all over the place on these. When I was looking, few were very well maintained. Never did see a manual.

Remember, these were quite expensive yuppee-mobiles when they came out and most were probably traded within a few years and have bounced the used car lots or were given to teenagers. Just my opinion based on the condition most were in when I was looking. Find a well maintained, lower mileage one and I think it's worth the higher end. If it meets neither if those conditions, I'd steer clear completely because of the SOHC and the transmission. I rather like both so far but I know mine have been taken good care of. Neglect amplifies these motors' and transmissions' weaknesses, IMO.

I've had zero problems with mine so far, knock on wood. Bought in 2010 with 56k and immaculate for $9.5k. Probably high some would say. I'd retort with zero issues and paid for. :D

Thanks for the clarification, mine was in pristine condition, even the owners manual was still brand new, with 60k miles on it and I spent 12k on mine. I know that's pretty high, but I'm in Cali, and it was worth every penny!

Depending on mileage and condition, I'd say you're looking anywhere from $4k to $11. I know that's a big range but I've seen prices all over the place on these. When I was looking, few were very well maintained. Never did see a manual.
Manual trannys are exceptionally rare, I heard once that it was less than 3% of production. By the time I got my old '05 Trac (new) you could only get a manual in a 4x2 and only in fleet orders.

Also used 4x2 Tracs are significantly less expensive than a 4x4 of equal mileage and condition. Where I live a 4x2 truck is as useless as a screen door in a submarine for half the year.

Haha great analogy JohnnyO

JohhnyO i personally think 4x2 trucks are useless 4x4 all day with me!!:)

My 01 has been great, closing in in 200,000 miles with no big problems. Got a good, well maintained one to start with, and took care of it. Regular maintenance, and don't beat on it and they do last.

I do wish mine had read disc brakes.

I did a simple aftermarket readio and speaker upgrade, sounds wonderful.

It's no Taj Mahal inside, but comfortable. Great for utility and easy clean up.

Back