Questions on different driving modes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on different driving modes

Gilbert M Vega

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 black Explorer Sport
Does anyone know what specifically changes when one selects the several driving modes? I tried the sand mode today and it seems to make the Explorer more responsive as well as improved acceleration. What changes on each mode? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"The Explorer's makers have settled on four driving conditions for their Terrain Management system, which must be operated by the driver via a console-mounted switch to four conditions: Normal, Snow, Sand, and Mud/Ruts. The Explorer's four-wheel-drive system has no low-range for rock-crawling or bushwhacking. And instead of mechanical differential locks, it relies on individual wheel braking to control wheelspin. The Snow setting is also the best choice for ice, water, wet grass, and gravel. In this position, the shifts are slowed to prevent abrupt torque changes that could spin a tire, and the automatic transmission upshifts at lower engine speeds. The Sand setting is for, not surprisingly, driving on the beach, but also is the best choice for loose and deep gravel. At lower speeds, the transmission remains in as low a gear as possible, so the Explorer doesn't bog down while the wheels churn through the loose surface.

The Explorer's stability control system is also relaxed, allowing the SUV to slide to prevent getting stuck. However, if the sand is wet, then the Mud/Ruts setting is recommended for best traction, relaxing the shifting to reduce wheelspin. All settings utilize a Hill Descent Control system that holds low gear, and automatically applies the brakes without locking any wheels."

Terrain Control Explained

Peter

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

On this same topic, when in the normal drive mode, which wheels are powered? Is it the front, back, or all 4
I know they call it a 4WD but compared to the 4WD I had on my 2003 expedition, it is way different.

On this same topic, when in the normal drive mode, which wheels are powered? Is it the front, back, or all 4
I know they call it a 4WD but compared to the 4WD I had on my 2003 expedition, it is way different.
Bring up the Intelligent Display and it will show you which wheels are being powered. Normally from a dead stop most goes to the front with a small amount to the rears. Of course it depends on how quickly you accelerate. Afer that it is FWD until such time as the system feels otherwise. That is why they say the 5th gen is front wheel biased. BTW it is actually AWD regardless of what the badge says..

Peter

Back