• Register Today It's free!

Quick question about stalling!

MistahYebba

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I can do things to make my car stall at demand!

For example, if I turn on the engine, switch into gear, and then press on the knob to deactivate AC (with climate control all the way on HOT), the car will stall almost always.

I also noticed it stalled a few times pressing on the brakes while in gear.. and even once when switching gears!

What's up with this bad boy?!

Another quick question...

all the sudden today for the first time since I got this '92 Explorer, the power steering feels much more firm... like MUCH more firm..

But my PS Fluid is topped off?

What could that be?

I replaced the pressure and return lines less than a week ago after finding a leak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stalling problem would be the IAC(idle air control valve). And as far as the power steering, do you hear any kind of whine coming from the power steering pump?

do you hear any kind of whine coming from the power steering pump?

He should... it's a Ford. That's how you know it's working properly :D

The stalling problem would be the IAC(idle air control valve). And as far as the power steering, do you hear any kind of whine coming from the power steering pump?

How can you be so sure about it being the IAC? Just curious?

Because yesterday I was stalling practically every 15 feet while trying to drive home from work..

popped the hood and noticed a few of my vacuum lines somehow snapped into multiple pieces.

Blocking the line sucking in air fixed that stalling problem until I could get home and snip the lines back past the dryrotted rubber.

So I mean for all we know it's not the IAC and it could be the vacuum lines again right?

Just wondering why you say IAC is all.. seems like a crappy thing to have to replace.

Speaking as someone who had several holes in the plastic vacuum lines, leaking brake booster and many split rubber boots... I never had any drivability problems from vacuum leaks, nor any check engine lights. Maybe they weren't severe enough but it just didn't have an issue. I only noticed them when taking parts off and also could hear the hissing.

The IAC on the other hand is what keeps your engine running at idle. If it's shut closed, the engine doesn't really get any air. If the IAC is frozen or not working right, you won't get extra air (read: extra RPM/power) when you add stress while idling (heavy steering or A/C).

Well from my experience yesterday when my whole little vacuum line system (contained like 3 lines?) was severed at all 3 lines... the system was stalling non stop..

As a test, I ran the engine, and when you pull the vaccuum line labeled "Vacuum reservoir" in this picture...

attachment.php

the engine will stall...

Which proves to me that getting air into the system instead of keeping a closed off vacuum system will stall the engine.

You never experienced a stall because of that?

Pull that vacuum line and it will stall I bet :3 so obviously when my lines were all mysteriously severed (still not sure why all 3 were so cleanly cut randomly??) I was stalling like crazy.

I figured it must be related to this problem??

Yes, vacuum lines being disconnected or broken can cause stalling and/or rough idle. I would say to fix the vacuum lines. If you fix that and it still dies, my money would be on it being the IAC.

Yes, vacuum lines being disconnected or broken can cause stalling and/or rough idle. I would say to fix the vacuum lines. If you fix that and it still dies, my money would be on it being the IAC.

You know just what to say.

Back