Quick Question about Wiring Speakers (?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick Question about Wiring Speakers (?)

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
If I am AMPing my speakers, I need to run all new speaker wire to all speakers from the amp, correct? If my amp is 40rms x 4 channels, what gage wire should I use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

14 or 16 gauge is fine.

Its recommended to run all new wire, but you dont have to.

14 or 16 gauge is fine.

Its recommended to run all new wire, but you dont have to.

I do not have the wiring harness yet. I have my new amp and speakers ordered from crutchfield. They said that they are giving me the wiring harness, but if I amping the speakers, I don't really need the harness, correct? I am going directly off the amp to the speakers.

Just do what you think will work. If it doesn't come back and we'll figure it out.

Speakers and Amps aren't that hard, it's just a matter of taking your time with it. I've yet to have a system that I've installed not work, it may have need some tuning, but they've all started playing/thumping the first time. I'm self taught.

I do not have the wiring harness yet. I have my new amp and speakers ordered from crutchfield. They said that they are giving me the wiring harness, but if I amping the speakers, I don't really need the harness, correct? I am going directly off the amp to the speakers.

All you will need off the harness then is the power wires and remote wire that will be ran to your amp as well. Thats what I did when I got my harness...snipped off all the wires except the power/remote.

Back