Quick questions regarding ignition w/security system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick questions regarding ignition w/security system

twomedicine

Reaction score
City, State
Wilm., DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
Howdy,

I was hoping someone could fill me in on a few simple questions about the use of the ignition system with the security feature.

1) Is there any reason why a guy couldn't leave the transponder key in the ignition and turned back to the accessory position overnight?

2) Is there any special care given to the transponder key? Like, will water submersion do it harm, or getting it too close to a magnetic source...?

I ask about the key left in the accessory position overnight because I found that at 6'2" I can sleep in the X very comfortably, and stretched out totally. But I found that when the windows were partially down, and the rain starts, it's a pain to get up and turn the key for powering the electric window motors. Since I am usually by myself, and sometimes 40 miles from the hardtop, and then another 60 miles to a town, I don't want to test leaving the accessory switch on overnight when I don't know better on these newer vehicles. I have walked out before and usually after a week's backpacking trip already, I don't need more walking to get help/

Yes, I could test it at home, but I thought I'd ask the experienced first.

Call me twocautious, but I hate to do something stupid (it's not in the owner's manual)

thanks, Twomedicine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by twomedicine

2) Is there any special care given to the transponder key? Like, will water submersion do it harm, or getting it too close to a magnetic source...?

I ask about the key left in the accessory position overnight because I found that at 6'2" I can sleep in the X very comfortably, and stretched out totally. But I found that when the windows were partially down, and the rain starts, it's a pain to get up and turn the key for powering the electric window motors.

Not sure on first 2 questions, but I would guess if you soak your key it would not be good.

On mine if I am in the truck and start it then turn it off my windows will still operate (with key off but still in the ignition). If I open the door and close it they will not function until the I start it again. I have not tried this for hours, but at first look it would appear that if I was to start the truck and then turn it off without opening the door the windows would operate.

I guess you would have to reach over the front seats and start/stop the engine before crashing for the night. Give it a try...

trial

Sonny, that was a good idea so I tried it out this aft..

I rolled the window down, closed the door (I am outside reaching in to the ignition), started the X and ran it for 30 sec's. After turning it off, I found the window still able to get power. So I left for a little over an hour and a half.
Unfortunately, when I reached inside for activating the power window again, it wouldn't work.

Now I am thinking of cantilevering a sheet of plywood over the open windows from the roof serving as an awning (just joking)

Guess I'll have to get my lazy rear end out of the back and reach for the key~

thanks again//

Not sure about magnets, but I don't thing getting the key wet will cause problems w/the chip.

You can leave the key in Acc mode. Just be sure radio/HVAC etc are off so the power drain is minimal (and that you battery is in good shape)

As for the windows, they will move after engine off until door is opened or a certain period of time passes. There is a another thread talking about this very issue in the past week.

What I cannot run the A/C!

You mean I cannot run the A/C while sleeping in the back of the X? What kind of RV is this?

Luckily, the trailheads I use (and where I will sleep in the X before and after trips)are btwn 8000-10,200 ft and once the sun goes under, it cools down nicely, even during July-Aug. And at most I cannot get radio reception, so I wouldn't be leaving the radio on, and besides, if a station came through, it would be country western, and you know what that does to brain cells.

But seriously, I was afraid if the acces was left on, even without running anything, that maybe something might go haywire or burn within the PAT system or other places.

My last vehicle, and the one's before that all had knobs and cranks attached to window regulators for simple keyless window operation (I have elaborated where the other fellow hadn't). These power options are great, but have their downside too. Next, I'll want power mosquito screens within the tracks/

Thanks again, the fewer the potential problems, the better

Well, A/C won't work (engine is off), but the fan will unless the switch is in the OFF position...... Should not have any trouble with the PATS leaving the key in.

About the key, im pretty sure it can handle being submerged.... Last time i was out at havasu i ended up jumping into the water to fetch a frisbee someone tried to throw to our boat. I had my entire set of keys including the keyless entry remote in my pockets at the time. I was probably in for about 30 seconds. When we got back to the dock it worked just fine.

PATS goes swimming

Tom, thanks a lot, that's a big help that the key can be left in the ignition, overnight, in the access position/

Since would take my transp key along and usually encounter several swift river crossings, it's possible I'll take an unplanned soaking along of course with the backpack. And if I have to separate from my pack leaving it in the water while first getting out myself, and then hopefully fishing out the loaded backpack, the key would be submerged for quite sometime. So the news about the AZ swimming with the key is what I was hoping to hear....nice////

Back