PATS/Transponder Key Question

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi all. my 00 Sport has the transponder ignition key system, and I only received one key with the truck. I understand that the dealer has to program the second key, if you have only one. (With two keys, you can do it yourself)

Is there a way to disable this system, so that a normal (non-chip) key can be used?

Thanks
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont have an answer.. but why woudl u want to disable a security feature?

No way to do it with PATS
Yes you need 2 keys programed then you can program others your self.

Anyone try using the same key twice to program a new one? I know the manual says you need 2 keys to program a third but I wonder if you can trick it using just one. I wonder because I have the same dilemma. I have only one key and i just bought another on eBay.
I would like to know if this works because I'll have it cut and do it myself. If it doesn't work I'll have the dealer cut it and program it. TIA

You have 2 to create a new one.

Don't even think about a remote starter installation w/o the 2nd key. We learned the hard way.

My local Ford Guys made ours in a pinch [45 mins] for $85.

At the time I posted this originally, I had just bought the Explorer. Here it is 1 year later, and it's still trouble-free. Knock on wood.....

I finally took it to the dealer, and got a second key programed for about $50. I then programed a third key myself. So now I have 3 keys, keyless entry, and a door keypad. There's absolutely no way for the wife to lock herself out now.......

Or is there......?:banghead: :D

Back