Quiet Exhaust | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quiet Exhaust

no problem! ill loon for other quiet alternatives

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wonder, emphasis on wonder if this could work. a review said it was missing the cat or resonator thing, so hopefully its that way. if you cut off the bent portions and the hangers could you slide the muffler in. is the livernoise piping 2.5 or is the desired muffler size 2.5? if the livernoise piping is 2.5 i think the 2.25 couldnwork to slide in and weld or clamp. thoigh im not sure its notched for clamps

Maybe a dumb question, did you ask the previous owner if he still has the OEM exhaust?
Is the truck tuned? Maybe you need to de-tune it (go back to stock) or re-tune it before you take off the actual exhaust.

Maybe a dumb question, did you ask the previous owner if he still has the OEM exhaust?
Is the truck tuned? Maybe you need to de-tune it (go back to stock) or re-tune it before you take off the actual exhaust.
jmo but exhaust wont makena ground breaking difference in tune unless its "super aggressive" so to speak. good point hiwever!

No, the stock exhaust is long gone. The car has a 93 performance tune from Livernois.

If the interceptor has the 3.5 Ecoboost the mufflers should be the same. Most of them have the 3.7L engine though with different exhaust.

It would be cheaper to go with a quieter after market muffler and have it welded in to the existing exhaust than have a whole new/used one installed. Alternatively you could keep it as is and have resonators welded in before the mufflers which would certainly quiet it down. That's basically how the factory does it anyway... Cat -> Resonator -> Muffler

If the interceptor has the 3.5 Ecoboost the mufflers should be the same. Most of them have the 3.7L engine though with different exhaust.

It would be cheaper to go with a quieter after market muffler and have it welded in to the existing exhaust than have a whole new/used one installed. Alternatively you could keep it as is and have resonators welded in before the mufflers which would certainly quiet it down. That's basically how the factory does it anyway... Cat -> Resonator -> Muffler
Thanks. Yeah, I already have resonators and it helped a bit, but not enough to stop there. I found a exhaust from a 3.5l interceptor online. That should work?

For what you would likely pay for a used exhaust you could possibly go down to a muffler shop and have them install one to quiet it down and not have to try welding it up yourself or using clamps that could fail.

Thanks. Yeah, I already have resonators and it helped a bit, but not enough to stop there. I found a exhaust from a 3.5l interceptor online. That should work?

It technically should work. The tail pipes are probably different as I think they just use turn downs. If you have a picture post it here

It technically should work. The tail pipes are probably different as I think they just use turn downs. If you have a picture post it here
I don't have any pictures. However, I believe they are the standard turn downs in which I can just add my current tips. Also, I found a few more that may work. Would the Sport exhaust off a 2013-2015 Explorer bolt on? They only have the single tip, but I can always have mine welded on. I found a few online for fairly cheap and in good shape.

Thank you,

Brian

Back