Raced an Xplorer V8 in my V6.... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raced an Xplorer V8 in my V6....

Speaking of the WRX

Speaking of those, ,man,, anyone race one?????? LOL
if not here's a tip!!!!!!
1. Line up and wait for the light.
2. bend your head down and kiss your butt goodbye
3. watch light change.
4 hit gas like it's a race
5. try to catch a glimps of the taillights as the "Giant Blender" sounding WRX dusts you.

lol
went up with one for a few blocks playing around with my moded cavilier,,
those wrx's are very fast LOL
extreamly hard pulling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

correct me if i am wrong, but i thought the big difference between whether the v6 or v8 will pull away from the other comes down to the gearing? a buddy told me some years ago to get a high gear ratio for more speed. (if my memory is correct).
would that make the car w/ the higher ratio run quicker (or does the high gear just make a higher top end speed)?

Higher top end speed, less torque.

the weight of the vehicle also. 4 doors are heavier than a sport, and a v8 is heavier than a v6. (also, mods <-- this is a given though.) but, really, there are so many factors...weather, traction, lots of stuff like that.

torque??

How does torque play into speed in 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile??

torque helps in your offtheline speed. when yer at a stop light and punch the gas and your head gets thrown back, thats torque.

Thats what the SOHC has. I can beat most cars in my area off the line but if I am already moving then forget it, I can't accel that fast.

torque questions again

torque helps in your offtheline speed. when yer at a stop light and punch the gas and your head gets thrown back, thats torque

Ok...thats torque. But how do you get top end speed? In order to remedy the following problem??

Thats what the SOHC has. I can beat most cars in my area off the line but if I am already moving then forget it, I can't accel that fast.

do you have an automatic? your problem just might be the reluctance of your auto to shift into a lower gear so you are often trying to accelerate outside of the power band. a chip, or a shift kit will do as much for that as anything.

it just depends your gearing. i have 3.27 gears and my offline speed isnt all that good. but i do keep up pretty damn well over 60.
i would like some 4.10 gears though. anyone wanna trade?

tire size is important too. its all about the effective gear ratio not the ratio in your axle. i have 3.73 ls axles and i am going to leave them but get 26.96 diameter tires instead of my current ones which are about 29 after that my truck will really take off.

Originally posted by expo5.0
tire size is important too. its all about the effective gear ratio not the ratio in your axle. i have 3.73 ls axles and i am going to leave them but get 26.96 diameter tires instead of my current ones which are about 29 after that my truck will really take off.

yeah, but youre gonna have another inch of gap in the wheel well, though your truck will sit an inch lower. what size tires you running now?

now i have 255/60/17s. with my drop it shouldn't look like too much of a gap, i hope. it will also be effectively a 3 inch drop after that.

wont it only be a 1.04 inch drop? if the stock is 29 and you are putting on 26.96 then it will only drop half that, right?

yeah, but what i meant was with my two inch existing drop and the tire switch which will make another inch it will be a total of three inches.

what size tires you thinking of going with? i know theres guys who are running 255 55 r17's and they look fine in the wheel wells...at least in pics they do; that stuff always looks different in person.

maybe 265/50/17 it really depends on what kind of tires i want when mine wear out. i've been trying hard to conserve mine, but mine are gonna be gone in the next couple of months

Back