• Register Today It's free!

Raced an Xplorer V8 in my V6....

Frshpwdr2k

Reaction score
City, State
Sammamish, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V6 SOHC
2night my buddy took out his momz explorer which is a 98' V8 5.0 L and i raced him numerous times and RAPED the V8. Daaamn i am lovin the chip, Xplorer is WAY faster now..(and the V6 SOHC can tackle the V8).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really!!!!! What all have you done to yours? Is yours a 5 speed?

What chip are you using, I want more power but everyone says the JET chip doesn't work right.
Any other mods cause smoking V8 would be nice!

Mod's

Right now, all I have done is intake and a Diablo Chip... the Diablo Chip is what has made the Explorer faster. My buddy was EXTREMEMLY upset after i beat him... he was sure the V8 would be faster :)

No 5 speed

Oh yeah, i forgot i have the V6 4.0 L SOHC Automatic....

do you by any chance have a sport? because the V6 sohc sports are faster than the V8's... I have raced a few and beat them all by a decent amount...

sluggish v8s

I've noticed this too.. even tho I've never actually raced anyone.. I find the 5.0L to be very sluggish and tends to drag in the upper RPMS.. even with my kkm and flowmater 50 its just as sluggish in the upper RPMs as it was when I got it.. I'm really beginning to wonder if this engine has any potential

Not a sport

Yo,
I have a full size 4DR, not a sport.

Re: sluggish v8s

Originally posted by DarkFox1
I've noticed this too.. even tho I've never actually raced anyone.. I find the 5.0L to be very sluggish and tends to drag in the upper RPMS.. even with my kkm and flowmater 50 its just as sluggish in the upper RPMs as it was when I got it.. I'm really beginning to wonder if this engine has any potential

I've never driven a V8 Explorer, but my mom has a 98 4dr SOHC and it really pulls hard above 3K RPM or so. I think where the V6 lacks in torque, the V8 wins... but the V6 has the edge in the higher RPM range.

V8's in J**p's are very sluggish in the high RPM's also. I drove my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 and it was strugglin in high RPMS/

odd.. I have a friend of mine that thinks his 4.7L v8 grand cherokee is fast as anything..

Grand Cherokee

Yeah they are very fast actually. But I'm just saying that in the real high RPM's they dont pull as hard.

where did you get your chip and how did you install? Was it something you did yourself?

Dead Link Removed

I think what kills the 5.0 is the lack of dual exhaust . Every 5.0 stang Ive seen pulls great at high rpm's . Of course they have true duals . Also , the sports has 2 less doors and the related weight . Now if you stuck a 5.0 in a sport :)

the newer grand cherokee v*'s are quick untill about 3k rpms

but the older grand cherokees lag. my fried has a 94 and when she got it she was all up in my face about how hers is so fast and its a v8 and what not. so we raced. she got her ass handed to her on a silver platter.
theres this flat road by my work that is almost half a mile long. we raced. i won by at least 5 car lenths.
now when ever she talks about her car being all that i just remind her that my heavier car with a v6 smoked her. =)

oh and i have a sport by the way. and plan on a 5.0 conversion with the ford raceing 302 that puts out 345 hp.

in general the 5.0 explorer is a little more sluggish in the high rpms
but the mods on a 5.0 are endless.

it would be nice if the V-8 was available with the 5 speed manual transmission. i dont really like driving an automatic trans. my moms 2000 XLT V-8 is a really nice suv, but a manual trans (and if it was 4X4 instead of AWD) would be great.

Ahh , the days when I was young . I remeber asking my dad why he liked automatics and he said "Cause Im tired of shifting" . I still like 5 speeds , if they are in a car . In a truck it's just a hassle . The sticks they build now are so craptastic that V-8's maul them anyway . I guess a play explorer with a 5.0 5 speed would be fun , but not as a everyday driver for me . If I want fun Ill go fire my 89 Mustang with a 289/5 speed up :)

Chip

Yeah I installed the Chip myself... not very hard. Just had to take out the computer and clean the silicone off of the connectors... that is about the hardest part, if u wanna call it even hard.
Also a racing update.... I have been WASTING rice burnerz in my area. Man they get pissed when i start honking at them and then rev it up so they can take in a big sip of my exhaust after i beat them.... HEHE
I also just killlled some guy in a Infiniti QX4 who wouldnt stop talking about his car...and i beat a Honda Passport with Dual Exhaust. Its nIIIIiiicccceeeee.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have just about as close to "true duals" as an explorer can get.. I have a dual in/out flow50 muffler with 2.25" pipes.. from my experience, it takes MUCH more than another exit for the exhaust to save this low power v8

Back