Raced an Xplorer V8 in my V6.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raced an Xplorer V8 in my V6....

no i couldnt pass a 351. besides it would eat too much gas.
im putting a 302 in but its a ford raceing 302 with gt-40 heads and valve train etc.. that puts out 345hp at the crank. =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im with mikeresin. i would put in the 345 hp 302 but i would supercharge it. if it could handle it.

oh oif course im going to put a blower on it. it can handle it. those gt-40 heads and valve train are strong as hell

You'd be hard pressed to fit a Cat Diesel in a explorer . The only ones that might fit would be a 4 cyl . The 3116/3126 HEUI line is simply to big and there is no way to get enough cooling without slicing the front end off to hold a bigger radiator . I doubt a "Cummins V-8" in a explorer either .Best one might get would be the smaller cummins turbo diesel from a Dodge truck and it's a 6 cyl (inline) . a 3116/3126 is longer than the engine compartment of a explorer . They put them in Freightliner box trucks and GM box/tow trucks , the"Kodiak" line which is huge compared to a explorer . The radiator on either is about 3 feet wide and 2.5 feet high , maybe even a little bigger . The explorer hole for the radiator is around 1.5 by 2 foot . The best I think they have from a 3126 now is around 350 horsepower in truck applications . 450 HP in Marine , and those are B model engines . Of course they have a ton of torque compared to a gasoline engine but a ton of weight .
Id check into the Ford Motorsports cams for a Explorer , I think most of them are emissions legal in California but I don't know if the older cams will work with the Explorer engine (like the B303 and X303,etc.) .
If you wanna race something , buy a race car and leave the explorer for hauling loads and kids :)

Sounds like the first mod the V8 X and Mountaineer guys should be doing is some high ratio roller rockers to add some bumpiness to those rolling pin cams.....plus a blower.

why not just buy a Subaru WRX? 0-60 in about 5.7 and that is stock.

WRX

WRX's are tight..... but some people want more room, and some people just think Xplorer'z are flat out SICK so WRX just wont cut it4 em.

Fresh Powder, saw your ride the other day when you went rolling through QFC the other day. Those windows are dark. I also saw it at the Skyline football game. You were parked at the Lutheran church. Your exhaust sounds weird, but really cool. It's a sound I've never heard before. Anyway, I just have to complement you on such a nice ride now that I have seen it up close.

Thanx

Thanx Beavis,
Yeah Exhaust sounds different than alotta otherz, it sceramz at full throttle like race-car sound. Say what-up sometime when im up there visitin my friendz i wanna check your explorer.

mines nothing special. Right now the hood is all jacked up because it's stuck closed. I've done a few cheap mods, but it's mostly stock. Someday I'll have money to spend on my X. Right now I have to pay for the hood, homecoming and my new 1080 Salomon skis. Man girls are expensive! Oh well. Yeah, I read the post I posted earlier. I wasn't dissing your exhaust. It sounds really cool. Weird was the wrong word.

no worriez

Dont worry bout it, i know what u are sayin.. anywayz yeah i cant wait 2 bust out the ski'z and hit up Alpental.

Quickie...

X V8 does 0-60 in a little under 9 sec stock (I've seen 8.2)
X V6 SOHC does 0-60 in just under 8.
X V6 OHC does 0-60 a little over 9, possibly high 8's.

The Grand Cherokee v8 (not to mention their I-6) will blow all our ***** away, stock from experience and by facts. Don't even bother with the 5.9 HO cause you will embarrass yourself and I can almost garantee you that they have a performance chip in it which can get them to 60 in high 5's, low 6's. I've seen them light all four tires around town... wanna beat'em? Drop a few $1000 into your X or get a sports car.

God'speed'!

Sorry guys, hate to spoil your thunder about rice burners! Your 4.0 v6 is a rice burner mazda engine.

Originally posted by Dave W.
Sorry guys, hate to spoil your thunder about rice burners! Your 4.0 v6 is a rice burner mazda engine.

first of all, the 4.0 v6 is not a rice burner engine. just because mazda, a japanese vehicle manufacturer, happens to produce the v6 engine in explorers, means nothing. even if, in your mind its a ric motor because mazda makes it, so what?...what does that mean?...where do we go from here now? second of all, what are trying to prove with this last post?...it seems to me like youre just trying to start trouble; you read a few posts about people talking about "rice burners" and now youre trying to re-ignite that fire. the deal is, if you like it, you like, and if you dont, then you dont.

i know i sound like a dick here, but it seems like everyday i read a new thread and/or post(s) about whats rice and what isnt, why somethings rice and why it isnt. im getting pretty sick of it, personally. i know i post my fair share of dumb posts, but why is there always someone trying to point out hypocrises in what others say?...if youre gonna say anything about it, take a stand on the issue; finding hypocrises is indicative of someone who's trying to make a point that they dont know anything about, and they probably dont even know why.

i dont doubt that ill get moderated here, but its just so damn annoying.

vroom .. vroom .. not

My explorer just doesn't want to make me go fast. Sorry, it's no Troll hunter, I guess.

BZZZT, TRY AGAIN

Originally posted by Dave W.

The 4.0L was manufactured in Cologne Germany, a long ways from Japan. Some Explorer transmissions were made by Mazda (5-speed manual), but never the engine.

Dave W.... on his knee'z

Yo Davey boy,
Soundz like u best get on your knee'z and apologize to the 4.0 engine community... otherwise your namez up and your in for some heat on the board. Rice Burnerz my ass... dont ever call my explorer engine a rice burner

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN
i saw an explorer in va beach va with a v8 cummins diesel...g

Gabe you got to find this guy! I wanna see that. :)

Boy you guys can't take a joke, I guess I should of said that it wasn't an american engine so it might as well be a rice burner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rice burners, ha ha ha. I am surprised to find out that the 4.0 was built in Germany because when I replaced the hydraulic valve lifters I didn't think there were just an outstanding amount of parts to the engine. I'd settle with German engineering instead of someone elses.

I can't believe you guys are racing your little ole explorers. If I were a betting man, I'd bet you'll need your Mazda transmission rebuit before to long. My Mazda auto trans lasted me to 150,000 @ normal town driving. The overdrive and torque converter went out. After working on this and that on my 93 Eddie I've decided that really the only weak part on it is the transmission.

Well good luck to you racers out there and win some money when you race. You might be needing it sooner or later.

Back