Raced an Xplorer V8 in my V6.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raced an Xplorer V8 in my V6....

Actually, since we V8ers have a Cobra lower intake and an upper intake manifold that flows between the Cobra and GT 302, the problem is in the cam. Ford put in a truck cam to give us lots of low end torque, which was much appreciated when I had to pull the forklift out of the mud at work a couple of weeks ago with my '97 Mountaineer.

What we need is a better cam that still gives us lots of low-end torque yet gives us upper more upper RPM HP, such as a Baby Crower Cam. I know that as soon as my extended warranty ends in 3.5k miles, my 302 Mountaineer will be seeing a cam change, if I have the money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

passports are weak. my mom has one. whenever i drive it i cant stand the lack of noise and power compared to my explorer. and its japaneese. i guess i just like american cars.

mike a few days ago me and some guys were having a debate on whether the 5.0 v8 was offered in sports as a police package only the police can get. we have seen one around here with a v8, but havent been able to find out here he lives so we could take a look at the engine.

i saw an explorer in va beach va with a v8 cummins diesel. that thing smoked tires with puff of black smoke and it was gone. it was an early model sport!!! anybody in va seen this? it was amzaing and it had "cummins" emblem on the side.
g

ive done alot of looking into it and i have never seen a sport that came stock with a V8. if there is one where you live they put the V8 in. it didnt come like that. and no cops around here drive them. there are some really nice cop cars though. theres this one sherrif car with green flames that has a 302 with a blower on it. i saw it up at sears point once. ran high 11's.
i also met a guy today while i was at the exhuast shop that has a 93 sport with a cobra v8 in it. i was jealous.

future upgrades

I can't be optimistic about this.. I have thought about the cam upgrade. but in order to replace a cam the grille, radiator, gril guard water pump and who knows what else has to be removed.. since i'm not skilled in that stuff myself, I'd have to have it done, which the labor would probablly drive the price through the roof. I am getting annoyed working around all this emissions/computer/warranty stuff.. its like, if you do 1 single thing you either fail emissions, your computer dies or your warranty is voided.. I've been thinking about turning my attention to our older model cars and trucks to work one of them up into a sporty daily driver over fighting with the mountaineer's crazy emissions. Any solutions/info yall could give?

well you can drive out to california and we (me and my friend) will help you work on your car for free. we have a cherrypicker and what not.

with the time and money that a drive out to CA would cost. he could just pay someone local to do the work.
but it was nice to offer your help...

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN
i saw an explorer in va beach va with a v8 cummins diesel. that thing smoked tires with puff of black smoke and it was gone. it was an early model sport!!! anybody in va seen this? it was amzaing and it had "cummins" emblem on the side.
g

I have become much more serious in putting a diesel in my Explorer. I would love to see a picture of the Cummins and what model it is. But I am more of a CAT guy (and my dad works for them) so I will probably go with a CAT.

IF THIS MYSTERY PERSON WITH A CUMMINS IN HIS EXPLORER IS A MEMBER OF THIS SITE, PLEASE RESPOND. I AND MANY OTHERS WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

When my '01 was stock I could pull away from the X and Jeep V8's. Now that I have built it up for off-roading I just get embarrassed.....

ya the sohc is faster than the v8

if the SOHC is faster than the V-8, why do people with OHV V-6s do a V-8 swap? why dont they just put in a SOHC V-6? then they dont have to change the transmission....

that would make more sense...

thats stock v6 vs v8 stock. a v8 can be built to be a freaking hoss you are limited with a v6 by block size and parts. i think that it is pretty cool that the sohc is quicker than the stock v8 though.

I've got a 97 Mountaineer and I'm also thinking about doing a cam swap. What kind of cams are in the 97 5.0 motors (roller or hydraulic?). Is it possible to do a cam swap without having to get a new chip for the computer? What about gas millage, will it be worse than it is now (around 10-12mpg around town)? Who makes a good cam(Lunati,CompCams,Crower)? Thanks.

your getting 10-12 around town. man i am sorry.

i believe edlebrock does and crane there are others but those ar the ones im familiar with. i called and talked to a rep at summit who helped me with my cam for my 318. i got the edelbrock. they also have dyno results and numbers on their website for different applications.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/cams_ford.html#7122

youll have to talk to a rep about your specific apps i have no idea.

ya 10-12 is about average.. but think of it this way.. every mod you do will give you a slight increase ;)

leenjen supposedly it would take more work to convert to a sohc than a v8 and the v8 performance parts are endless. you can do so much with a 5.0.

Originally posted by espnfreak
leenjen supposedly it would take more work to convert to a sohc than a v8 and the v8 performance parts are endless. you can do so much with a 5.0.

yup look at troll... he had a 302.... bored it to a 347... close to 500 in hp and torque.......before the nitrous.....

im not doing a swap until this engine is dead. wich wil probably be awhile. when i do it will be rad. im not just putting the normal 302. im going all out baby!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by mikeresin
im not doing a swap until this engine is dead. wich wil probably be awhile. when i do it will be rad. im not just putting the normal 302. im going all out baby!

351!!

Back