Racing Style Pedals: Installation on a ‘99 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Racing Style Pedals: Installation on a ‘99

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
At long last, I decided to get a set of racing style pedals for my ’99. Two things inspired my decision (1) I recently had my foot slip off the brake pedal almost causing “problems” ( due to wet weather ) and (2) the Group Buy price (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/post1412454 ).

I ordered the COM AT matte ( 98-050 ) set from AutoVation Technologies ( http://www.autovation.net/ ); normally $59.00 but with the group buy 20% discount, they were $47.20; $54.70 shipped to my door via USPS; promptly arrived in 3 days. The company provided excellent communications and the special pricing was appreciated.

These aluminum pedals ( gas, brake and parking brake) are a first rate product, unlike the cheap junk they sell at the auto parts stores and K Mart.

I drove the truck up onto ramps to facilitate access to the pedals and help save my battered knees.

The first step in the install was to remove the factory rubber covers from the brake and parking brake pedals. Next, the new pedal covers were positioned over the metal pad on the pedal and secured with a C clamp. Then a 3/16” hole was drilled through each of the screw locations. Now the new pedal covers were attached to the pedal with the supplied hardware ( countersunk machine screws and nylon-insert locknuts ). A 3/32” Allen wrench ( provided with the supplied hardware ) and an 11/32” open end wrench were used to tighten the screws. The parking brake has 2 screws whereas the brake pedal has 4.

The gas pedal cover was installed by C clamping the new pedal over the factory pedal and carefully drilling a shallow 1/8” pilot hole. This was followed by screwing in 4 provided self tapping screws.

The gas pedal installation was by far the most difficult part due to access or lack there of.

The metal scrap left over from drilling was removed with a shop vac.

The installation took about 25 minutes at a relaxed pace.

A test drive around town in traffic proved the worth of the pedals; it’s almost impossible for your foot to slide off the brake pedal. The parking brake pedal is insignificant to me since I never use it anyway. An additional bonus is that they just look good.

This mod is recommended for all.

Attachments

• pedals1.jpg
    pedals1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,128
  • pedals installed.jpg
    pedals installed.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,120
  • pedal c clamp.jpg
    pedal c clamp.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,145

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great! I just got mine today as well. Just like you, it was only a 3 day wait. Looks like it's great quality. Can't wait to install them. :)

bmxking5 said:
Looks great! I just got mine today as well. Just like you, it was only a 3 day wait. Looks like it's great quality. Can't wait to install them. :)

Great; be sure to post pictures.

Looks very nice.

Al, having done this install twice on two different Explorers I can say you pretty much nailed it. Great write-up. :thumbsup:

I love these pedals. :)

Al, does your gas pedal (stock pedal) have a curve to it? Mine is completely flat, and the racing pedal is curved. I finally got around to installing them today. I had to get all new hardware, because there was no possible way I could put nuts on the back of those short bolts (since my pedals on the manual Explorer are a lot smaller than yours, so you're really limited to where you put them).

I don't remember if it was completely flat, however, the new pedals fit perfectly.

Well, mine are not even close to fitting perfectly, so I think they might've sent the wrong one. I guess I'll try to see if I can bend it back, and try to make it flat again. Other than that though, the others are installed and look great.

the lack of access was my only serious issue, the pedal themselves are great and very sturdy, the only problem was that i torqued the head off of one of the screws and had to drill it out of the gas pedal, i was using a 20 year old corded drill with barely enough power to drive a srew anyway, this only happened once so ill chalk it up to a flawed screw, all in all, a great buy

Back