Rack and Pinion replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rack and Pinion replacement

AndreST03

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Sport Trac
Hey guys I’m about to replace my rack and pinion on my 03 ST 2wd. Are they any different that the explorer? And do you guys recommend me replacing any other part while I’ve got the R&P out? Any advice and or tips would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check hoses for condition and leaks. O rings should be changed if they are used. Change fluid to full synthetic.

I would not re-use the inner and outer tie rods since you need to remove them anyway. Good quality replacements because you'll need a full alignment after all this. Make sure they center the steering wheel when they do the alignment.

You'll also most likely be removing the upper control arm from the spindle, so, check the upper ball joints well to see if they can be reused.

I would not re-use the inner and outer tie rods since you need to remove them anyway. Good quality replacements because you'll need a full alignment after all this. Make sure they center the steering wheel when they do the alignment.

You'll also most likely be removing the upper control arm from the spindle, so, check the upper ball joints well to see if they can be reused.

You might as well check/replace the lower ball joints while you've got most of the stuff already apart.

Carquest rack and pinion I used came with new inner TRE installed
If your toe is set prior to the replacement and you are able to get the TRE the same length you will not need an alignment
I do not recall having to mess with any ball joints when I replaced the R&P in my 96...in fact it was pretty straight forward and can be done rather easily. remove the inner tie rod ends and the rack slides into the frame.
Keep and match the length of the old TRE assemblies and your alignment will be kept

Thanks for all the info guys. Next i have to do my frame bushings :(

Back