Radiator replacement-which brand | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator replacement-which brand

efiles123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I'm getting my 1999 Ford Explorer 4l v6 for sale and just realized a small crack on the top of the radiator seam. I'm thinking about replacing it with a new aftermarket radiator and was wondering what brands are functional? Obviously I'm not looking for something top-notch as the car has 280k miles but I'd like it to be functional enough to make a satisfied buyer down the road. I see several different brands on ebay that run around $100 which is around my budget.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting my 1999 Ford Explorer 4l v6 for sale and just realized a small crack on the top of the radiator seam. I'm thinking about replacing it with a new aftermarket radiator and was wondering what brands are functional? Obviously I'm not looking for something top-notch as the car has 280k miles but I'd like it to be functional enough to make a satisfied buyer down the road. I see several different brands on ebay that run around $100 which is around my budget.

Just replaced mine a couple of months ago for the same reason. I chose the TYC brand from rockauto. It seemed decent quality enough.

Just replaced mine a couple of months ago for the same reason. I chose the TYC brand from rockauto. It seemed decent quality enough.
Good to know. Just found those on ebay for only $105.

Also want to ask which orings/seals need to be replaced for the job and how you acquire them?

Good to know. Just found those on ebay for only $105.

Also want to ask which orings/seals need to be replaced for the job and how you acquire them?
The only o-rings are for the transmission fluid lines, and it came with new ones.

The only o-rings are for the transmission fluid lines, and it came with new ones.
Good deal. Hoping that one purchased on ebay would come with the orings. I've purchased a tranny filter in the past on ebay to find the orings missing. Not always the most reliable sellers.

I have a TYC in one of my Explorers. No issues so far.

I don’t know which model. O-rings for what?

@efiles123

For What It's Worth:

TYC is a Tier 1 OEM Supplier for Navistar, Daimler, Ford, Suzuki, Jaguar and Harley-Davidson, Ducati, Toyota, and for the past 5 - 6 years have been branching out into the aftermarket replacement parts market - partnering up with Rock Auto for distribution.

About 3 years ago I purchased a $16 TYC Fuel Pump (PUMP only - not the assembly) and swapped it into the OEM/FORD Fuel Pump Assembly.

Long story short, I was very satisfied with the results.

TYC gets a big thumbs up from me ;)

Here's a 5% Off Rock Auto Discount Code

5% Discount Code: 468AE31E200D6D
Expires: January 19, 2022

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.

Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

@efiles123

For What It's Worth:

TYC is a Tier 1 OEM Supplier for Navistar, Daimler, Ford, Suzuki, Jaguar and Harley-Davidson, Ducati, Toyota, and for the past 5 - 6 years have been branching out into the aftermarket replacement parts market - partnering up with Rock Auto for distribution.

About 3 years ago I purchased a $16 TYC Fuel Pump (PUMP only - not the assembly) and swapped it into the OEM/FORD Fuel Pump Assembly.

Long story short, I was very satisfied with the results.

TYC gets a big thumbs up from me ;)

Here's a 5% Off Rock Auto Discount Code

5% Discount Code: 468AE31E200D6D
Expires: January 19, 2022

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.

Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.
Sounds good! Think I've pretty much made up my mind. Thanks

I can’t remember. Probably did?

How long have you had it? Is it the TYC 2173?

Also, did it come with new o-rings as well?
Mine was that model. Came with new o-rings. It had caps on the transmission fluid line ports, with the o-rings inside them. So be careful taking the caps off and to not lose them.

Mine was that model. Came with new o-rings. It had caps on the transmission fluid line ports, with the o-rings inside them. So be careful taking the caps off and to not lose them.
Ok good. I ordered mine and should be here early next week. Looking forward to an easy job.

Was uninstalling the radiator as part of replacing the timing set, cover, water pump. Spun the tranny cooler connector on the plastic radiator tank trying to get the connection apart. Needed one right away, Advance had a Carquest Premium in stock. Good fit and finish. Recommend using anti seize on the transmission connectors.

Back