• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Replacement

Algar

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Eddie Bauer
My radiator recently cracked up top and needs replacing.

I have found several radiators online ranging from $60 - $200 for what appears to be the same thing. Am I missing something with these cheaper ones?

I am sure this is a very easy change and well within my capabilities. Is there anything I need to be aware of or be careful about.

Does anyone have any pictures of a replacement they have done?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i replaced mine with a cheap ebay radiator .i think it was like 80.00 shipped or something .its working fine .the plastic mounting tabs for the fan shroud break easy......i snapped one right off putting my shroud back on .thats my only complaint.i used some hard putty to fix it .
other than that its working fine .

Another opinion is that you get what you pay for,name brand and price.Remember the stock one lasted 10 years,no made in china crap for me on something like that,also look at warranty.The one I put in my 94 has a lifetime from Napa.:D

Make sure that you use a back wrench on the oil cooler fittings when loosening and tightening the ATF lines.

I also suggest that you purchase the double row (2 inch thick) and avoid the single row (1 inch thick) core.
yup, and also on the driver side there is a fitting on the back thats easy too miss and hard to get too/see, its not mentioned in manuals either. What I did was stick a little garbage can i had on some wood underneathe to support the radiator as even with lines pulled away it catches on anything and hard to do when getting it out of the clip fittings, this way i could push it up more or pull it left and right while working it out and still had support at the bottom if it fell vs snagging and breaking something as you have the two lines at the bottom of the truck on the passenger side (or at least on the 5.0 you do).

On the new radiator I had to file down some of the fittings as it was too tight of a fit to get into the factory clips, which I've noticed others had the same trouble as well.

I replace my radiator from an Ebay vendor as well...

I paid 46.95 plus shipping for it and I am happy enough with it... The way it it handled matters more than who made it...And a wrench holding the trans line fittings as the lines are tightened should be used on any radiator...

Mine was shipped to me in an open box and was damaged when I got it...They had to replace it with a non-damaged unit...

So far it has held pressure and doesn't leak so I can't complain...And mine comes with a lifetime warranty as well...

This is the one i bought...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0626617274&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

thanks for the tips chaps,

I'll get it done this weekend and let you know the outcome.

Al:thumbsup:

Back