$512 for radiator replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$512 for radiator replacement?

Tman1000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Took my 98 to the shop yesterday, it has 240k on it. It was leaking coolant really badly. They called back today and said it needed a new radiator and it would cost $512. Now im no expert but that seems a little high if I can find the radiator on Rock Auto for 100 bucks. Has anyone replaced their radiator? is it hard? And/or if you got it replaced, how much did it cost you?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a V6, changing the radiator is very easy to do. I recently did one on a V6 Explorer, it probably took me about 15-20 minutes to remove the old radiator and put the new one in its place (not counting the time to drain/refill the radiator). I bought a replacement radiator on-line for around $100-$120 including free shipping.

If you have a V8, it's a much bigger job because of the way the A/C condenser is mounted to the radiator. I've changed several V8 radiators and hope to never change another one. Total PITA.

You didn't say what engine you have. If it's the V8, I totally agree with koda, because separating the radiator from the AC condenser is a major hassle, turning a 10-minute job into an hour or more of bruised knuckles and cursing. An alternative and much easier way to do this is to remove the AC condenser along with the radiator, without the separation hassle. This will add about $100-$150 for evacuating and recharging the AC system. So one way or another the V8 job is probably around $150 extra, compared to V6 engines. The other variable is the radiator itself. It you went to a dealer, they will probably install Motorcraft, which sells for around $350.

You didn't say what engine you have. If it's the V8, I totally agree with koda, because separating the radiator from the AC condenser is a major hassle, turning a 10-minute job into an hour or more of bruised knuckles and cursing. An alternative and much easier way to do this is to remove the AC condenser along with the radiator, without the separation hassle. This will add about $100-$150 for evacuating and recharging the AC system. So one way or another the V8 job is probably around $150 extra, compared to V6 engines. The other variable is the radiator itself. It you went to a dealer, they will probably install Motorcraft, which sells for around $350.

Even if it's a less expensive radiator and the mechanic is paying $150 for it they typically add up to 60% to their cost and bill it to you. They also often use "flat-rate" labor rates, which means that even if the job takes them 30 minutes to do and their hourly rate is $100 they'll charge you for 2 hours labor. This is why I try to always do my own repairs. I realize that not everyone has the time, skill or inclination to do their own auto repairs, but you can pretty much count on paying through the nose to have someone else do your repairs, especially dealerships.

If you have a V6, changing the radiator is very easy to do. I recently did one on a V6 Explorer, it probably took me about 15-20 minutes to remove the old radiator and put the new one in its place (not counting the time to drain/refill the radiator). I bought a replacement radiator on-line for around $100-$120 including free shipping.

If you have a V8, it's a much bigger job because of the way the A/C condenser is mounted to the radiator. I've changed several V8 radiators and hope to never change another one. Total PITA.

Sorry i forgot to add that, it is a V6. I would be very willing to try and replace it myself, Ive done a few SMALL repairs on the car but I watched some videos online and it seems fairly easy, however, there is no worse thing than overestimating your ability to fix something yourself and realizing that half way through. Do you guys think that doing it myself is a bad idea? Because koda if it took you 15 min, it might take me around an hour, this being my first time. But that means nothing if i dont have to pay 500 bucks.

I'll confirm what Koda is saying about ease of replacing this on a V6. You absolutely can do this yourself. I really don't see any way you can run into trouble... unless, you were to have trouble breaking loose the tranny lines at the radiator. But, I've never encountered that.

Never ceases to amaze me what it costs to have a shop do repairs on these vehicles. Good luck!

Budget 2 hours to do the job since it'll take you a little longer to figure out how to disconnect things and generally get situated.

That should allow you enough time to spend half an hour gloating about how much easier it is to work on one of these rear wheel drive jobs vs a craptastic FWD car with everything jammed up front! :)

Sorry i forgot to add that, it is a V6. I would be very willing to try and replace it myself, Ive done a few SMALL repairs on the car but I watched some videos online and it seems fairly easy, however, there is no worse thing than overestimating your ability to fix something yourself and realizing that half way through. Do you guys think that doing it myself is a bad idea? Because koda if it took you 15 min, it might take me around an hour, this being my first time. But that means nothing if i dont have to pay 500 bucks.
For the V6, it's probably a difficulty of 1 on a scale of 1 to 5. Even for someone who has never dealt with a radiator, it's hard to think of inexperience causing any serious damage. Those Youtube videos will help, although I have seen one when the 'instructor' uses pliers to disconnect the transmission cooling tubes. Don't follow his example and get the right tools for the job! Incidentally, use a backup wrench on the radiator fittings while dealing with those, and don't overtighten when reassembling. If your vehicle still has the original OEM spring-type clamps on the rubber hoses, don't be tempted to replace them with the after-market screw-type. There is a dedicated tool for those spring clamps, but large long-nose pliers work as well. The bottom hose connection to the water pump may be a bit of a challenge - take your time. Your hoses may stick to the radiator nipples and be tough to pull out. If they are old and brittle, don't bother -- just cut through and get new ones. Follow the instructions to 'burp' the air out of the system when done. Good luck!

The transmission cooler lines can be a PITA, other than that its a simple job. Did the shop also include a tube of Vaseline and kiss after they were done screwing you?

The transmission cooler lines can be a PITA, other than that its a simple job. Did the shop also include a tube of Vaseline and kiss after they were done screwing you?

As long as you use 2 wrenches (and provided the lines/fittings aren't rusted) the trans lines shouldn't give you much trouble. I did not have any trouble on any of the 3 radiators I've changed. I was surprised that they only leaked a few drops of trans fluid once disconnected.

Okay thanks everyone. I may just get the one i saw on rock auto and give it a go! Thanks for the info guys i really appreciate it!

Budget 2 hours to do the job since it'll take you a little longer to figure out how to disconnect things and generally get situated.

That should allow you enough time to spend half an hour gloating about how much easier it is to work on one of these rear wheel drive jobs vs a craptastic FWD car with everything jammed up front! :)

I've done a couple FWD radiators before. they aren't that bad, so long as it's a 4cyl and not a V6.

You got this! Set aside a day, and just do it. You will save cash, and enjoy the project. Just commit and go. If you have any questions, you know where to ask!

Good luck.

I find it funny how I'm an IT guy, working on sensitive electronics that can be fried by simply poking the wrong component with your natural static electricity, however when I look at my car's engine my mind goes straight to "I'm gonna break this thing if I try to fix anything inside"

I find it funny how I'm an IT guy, working on sensitive electronics that can be fried by simply poking the wrong component with your natural static electricity, however when I look at my car's engine my mind goes straight to "I'm gonna break this thing if I try to fix anything inside"
Just wear a wrist strap and shoes with conductive soles and you'll be good around the engine :) Seriously, you will probably break something the first time you work on the engine. That's how we all learn. My first engine job ended with a broken head bolt, and a frenetic search for a replacement all over town. My first attempt to deal with a strut ended with the car being towed to the shop, a front wheel dangling in a funny way. Not to even mention the fiasco of my first brake job...

I replaced my radiator on my '98 after watching some vids on the utoob. (Took me coupla' hours, koda!!) But you can dooo iiit!! Just take your time and make sure you do things in sequence and you'll be fine. $512 is a MAJOR RIP OFF and you should tell them that.

It was hard for me, but I also had to remove the fan because I was also replacing the water pump(which literally stumped me for four hours). Since you're just replacing the radiator you don't have to remove the fan, you just need to be careful. Don't rush it, keep the antifreeze away from anything that might drink it. Watch the YouTube videos.

I did my own radiator as well on V6 and I agree with all who say it was not that bad. Replacing radiator also brought cooling system pressure back up to where should be and fixed my constantly fluctuating temp gauge. HOWEVER, two or three months after replacing radiator I also got to learn how to replace lower intake manifold gasket. My theory is returning coolant to full pressure pushed weak old casket over the edge. Jus sayin' :)

Just wear a wrist strap and shoes with conductive soles and you'll be good around the engine :) Seriously, you will probably break something the first time you work on the engine. That's how we all learn. My first engine job ended with a broken head bolt, and a frenetic search for a replacement all over town. My first attempt to deal with a strut ended with the car being towed to the shop, a front wheel dangling in a funny way. Not to even mention the fiasco of my first brake job...

Oh man! Thinking back to my first experience working on vehicles (when I was 14 years old) I broke pretty much every bolt I touched and did too much stupid stuff to mention, but with time and experience you will learn. Did I ever tell you guys the story on how I drove my first car through the wall of my dad's shop (and the dumb reason why)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh man! Thinking back to my first experience working on vehicles (when I was 14 years old) I broke pretty much every bolt I touched and did too much stupid stuff to mention, but with time and experience you will learn. Did I ever tell you guys the story on how I drove my first car through the wall of my dad's shop (and the dumb reason why)?

Oh boy I wanna hear this! Heh, and if I'm gonna be breaking something... I better wait until I have the money for a fix before I start messing around under the hood. Replacing the head/tail/fog light assemblies was gonna be my first thing, that sounds easy enough.

Back