Radio console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio console

macboney

Padre Mac
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4.0L
I made a radio console to fit over the stock one in my '03. Materials used were MDF, masonite, paint and wood glue. I made patterns out of foam "science project" board. For paint, I carried a piece of interior trim to Lowe's Home Improvement center and they scanned it and made me up a sample bottle of 8 oz. Put it on with fabric roller. Overhead console came out of 87 Buick from junkyard. It is used for sunglasses storage and additional dome lighting. Scanned another piece for this paint color. Mounted 450mhz, CB, and GPS in console. Scanner is mounted in dash. Used 1 DIN Kenwood stereo and made mounting plate for scanner from masonite to mount in 2 DIN space where factory stereo/CD was. Black parts painted with bed liner paint. Working on a mount to mount 10" Tablet computer on. All our fire calls are dispatched digitally as well as voice. Digital alarms show map location of incident, location of fire hydrants and other needed information. Exterior photos are in Elite Explorers photos

Attachments

• small console left 1.jpg
    small console left 1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 563
  • small console rt.jpg
    small console rt.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 775
  • small overhead left.jpg
    small overhead left.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 546
  • small patterns.jpg
    small patterns.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 510

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's some nice craftsmanship Padre.

I am a fire department chaplain and respond to emergency calls all over county. Switches are for lights, horn change switch ( I use stock horn and air horn both sounded using stock horn button). Single pole double throw swith switches between the two. Other switches are for various lights. 10 led fixtures mounted onto roof rack with angle aluminum. All the leds are heads with multiple 3 watt per led fixtures. Also have round back up light fixtures mounted in tailgate with 14 watt led bulbs. LEDs brighten to maximun instantly and require less power to operate. The guards you see beside radio and switches are black drawer pulls from home improvment store. These protect the radio faces as well as protect from accidently switching on lights etc. Also have two 27 watt led strobes mounted under front bumper. 100 watt siren speaker is mounted beneath/behind grill and the siren amp is mounted in compartment immediately behind rear seat completely hidden. Additional strobe power supply is mounted in same compartment with 4 20w Xenon strobes in head lights and stock backup lights. Air horn is mounted under headlight on left side in compartment under fender liner. Compressor is mounted behind grill. Horn is a Grover horn from retired fire truck. Exterior photos in Elite Explorers photos

Thanks Rondo. Most of it matches color and texture of stock console. Wasn't very hard to do if you can work with wood at all. All accessory wiring comes into two fuseblocks located under console.

+1 That's some sweet skills!

Back