• Register Today It's free!

Premium display is out

RockyMtnHigh

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
My '98 XLT with premium has the all wonderfull display problem. The display does not work at all now. I have the 6 disc changer in the console and the in-dash CD/Cassette/AM/FM. I am trying to decide on fixing the display or installing a new double DIN Pioneer DVD/amp and speakers.

Any ideas? Can the factory Pioneer unit be repaired easily?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few threads here about repairing the display yourself. I seem to remember something about cleaning solder joints. There was also a guy on eBay that would repair them.

As far as repairing or replacing, I'm a stocker so I don't look to much at aftermarket HUs. However, I'm sure for a couple of well spent bills you could have a nice system that puts the factory unit to shame. You're the only one that can determine what's right for you.

remember reading the repair process. It is a long and detailed process that one needs to be proficient at soldering on circuit boards.
I have a stock HU from a 98 and a 2000.

Does this effect only the Tape Player type HUD's or the in-dash CD as well?

There are several threads. They are all quite old and full of bad advice. And most of the info about replacement parts and repair services is way out of date. Here is the thread I posted in when I fixed mine last month.

It is a very easy fix for anyone with basic repair skills, and who knows that "cleaning" solder joints is pointless.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39115&page=12

Back