• Register Today It's free!

Radio Presets question

anonymous

Reaction score
City, State
STL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Is it possible to have say XM and FM stations intermixed on the presets so that I don't have to be listening to say the XM bad to go to an FM station?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible to have say XM and FM stations intermixed on the presets so that I don't have to be listening to say the XM bad to go to an FM station?
As far as I know, the answer would be NO. As you will see when you change bands AM/FM/Sirius, each has its own bank of pre-sets that can be used. I don't see anyway of merging pre-sets.

Peter

I traded in a Cadillac with the CUE system and got a 2017 Explorer. On the Cadillac, the presets that displayed could be AM or FM or a Sirius channel all on the same display of 6 presets. So I could be listening to a Sirius channel and touch an AM preset right next to it, and the radio would automatically switch from Sirius to the AM station with one touch. On the Explorer, it seems I have to do this in 2 steps. I have to first switch from Sirius to AM, before I can select an AM station. There seems to be lots of keystrokes instead of just one in the Cadillac. Is there any way to have presets for multiple receivers (AM, FM Sirius) on the same page of presets?

Welcome to the Forum Glenn-17Explorer.:wave:
I found this thread using the Forum's 'Search' function and merged yours with it.

Any chance this feature has been added in 3.10? It's one of those features that you don't care about it unless you had it, which I did in my Acadia. Co-mingling the various bands into a single pre-set panel seems like such a simple thing. I never thought it would be such a luxury.

Any chance this feature has been added in 3.10? It's one of those features that you don't care about it unless you had it, which I did in my Acadia. Co-mingling the various bands into a single pre-set panel seems like such a simple thing. I never thought it would be such a luxury.

Nope. Wasn't added in SYNC3 either. I miss that as well.

I don't listen to many different stations but when I want to change a station I simple use voice commands and it's done in a second or two, providing you know the station you want.

Peter

Our Subaru allows complete mixture within the presets and is really nice to just arrow from station to station using wheel controls without having to use voice (or fight with) or taking hand off of the wheel

I don't listen to many different stations but when I want to change a station I simple use voice commands and it's done in a second or two, providing you know the station you want.

Peter

Sorry, I'll respectfully disagree, there is no possible way your way is faster.

Your Way:
1. Press a button
2. wait for a prompt
3. say your desired station
4. Wait for it to be interpreted
5. Wait for station to change.

With co-mingled presets
1. press a button on screen

How is that even a contest?

And the difference becomes even more pronounced, when you are scanning your presets. As stated below by CWESCAPE. With co-mingled pre-sets, you can simply press up or down, and it will tune to the next pre-set, regardless of what radio band you are listening to. However when using voice command you need to do those same steps over and over again??

All that said. My explorer doesn't support co-mingled pre-sets and it is certainly not worth debating. So I've become pretty efficient at using the steering wheel control to switch radio bands. I'll stop pouting now.

Sorry, I'll respectfully disagree, there is no possible way your way is faster.

Your Way:
1. Press a button
2. wait for a prompt
3. say your desired station
4. Wait for it to be interpreted
5. Wait for station to change.
I don't believe I said it was faster in that quote. All I have to do is press the steering wheel control, wait a second for the prompt, say the station and the change is almost instantaneous. There is no waiting for a confirmation prompt anymore. The advantage is that you don't have to take your eyes off the road to find and press the preset. I just did an actual test while parked. Both ways took approximately 7 seconds. By not using voice, from the 'Home' screen I had to press the 'Audio' button, then select the 'Source' and then the appropriate preset. Keep in mind that if driving it likely would have taken a bit longer so as to take quick glances to check traffic etc. Either way works just fine since I don't see 'speed' as a requirement when changing stations. I just find using 'voice' easier and safer.

Peter

Or just the arrow key on the steering wheel. 1 second or less.

Voice "control" .. hardly use it due to the low success rate of not having to repeat myself. This tech has a long way to go still for sure!

Back