• Register Today It's free!

Radius arm bushings...help

larsb45

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4X4
I'm looking for a set of front radius arm bushings (forward of the frame mount) with metal inserts bonded to the bushing where it goes through the frame mount. I took some like this out, and stupidly installed factory bushings which disintegrated 8K miles later. Anybody know where I can get a set of these. I've tried everywhere I can think of. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A set of what? The rubber bushings? The factory bushings should last way longer then 8K, if they didnt something is wrong.

The bushings and nylon spacers (white donuts) are available from ford or most auto parts stores.

Not sure what metal piece you are refering too..

Sounds like the metal ring thats supposed to be part of the radius arm mount bracket is now part of the bushing. HAha. I had this happen on my rig. But it was all worn threw and you could totally tell that it wasnt part of the bushing.. This is the only thing that comes to my mind. Ive never seen any bushings with rings on the forward bushing.( but they could be out thier or custom).

I'm a Mazda tech by trade, and have done hundreds of bushings on Navajo trucks. These are the bushings that slide on the the arm right after the "cupped" washer, and the arm actually pivots on the bushing at the frame mount, not the black bushing or white plastic ring after the frame mount. They have a basic shape of a "mushroom". I've never seen any like them before. At the actual pivot point, where contact with the frame and bushing takes place there is a band of metal about 5/8" wide, looks like stainless steel bonded to the bushing. It's the right side bushing that gives me problems, because its along the exhaust side, and yes the heat shield for the actual bushing is installed. I'm thinking these bushings must be an aftermarket or off road brand I'm unfamiliar with. There was nothing wrong with them when i took them out, I just thought I was doing myself a favor by replacing with new. I live in Fl, near the beach, and the sand chews the bushings up, and you'd be amazed how fast they can wear out here, depending on your driving habits and locales. If I ever find them, I'll post again, because these things are "bulletproof".

Um have you tried urethane instead of rubber?

If heat is killing the bushing have you thought about making a better heat guard around the cat or on the bushing?

I have never seen any metal inside the 3 piece radius arm bushing set, the bushings are either rubber or urethane only.

Back