Random/Strange Question for fun... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random/Strange Question for fun...

calebg

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
This has bothered me since I bought my 07 XLT and I need to be able to sleep so here goes:

When I was first looking to purchase a ST I looked at 3 Limiteds and an XLT with a V8. However the 3 Limiteds were out of my price range and the XLT V8 was not in too good of shape. I loved the Limiteds of course: leather, 6 disc changer, V8 (!), heated seats... you all know. HOWEVER. The ONE thing I absolutely hated was when you get inside and sit and go to close the door, you have one option: that mounted handle by the speaker - simply awkward. But I put it behind me and told my self I could live with it (first world problems, I know)

Then when I started looking at the XLTs in my price range, I found the one I have now - a black 07 4.0 V6 - all stock and no options added. EXCEPT it had a handle/cut out on the inside of the door right at arm level! Novel idea.

Why do some model years/trims have that cut out and some do not?
Does anyone on here without the cut out wish they had it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the front door pulls were a mid year change to the 07's. just like you can find some 07's that had the rolldown rear window and some don't. by '08 all ST's had the roll down rear window again, and better front door panels. Also there were some small changes to the latch on the front bed storage bin in mid 07 I think.

That makes sense. I could swear at least one of the ST Limiteds I looked at was listed as an 08 and didn't have the updated door panels... course it's highly possible the dealer had it listed incorrectly.

I have an 07 xlt, no rear rolldown window and I have the funky door handles. it was kinda aggravating/weird at first but I'm become immune to it...but its funny to watch my passengers try to figure it out without bending their arm weird.

My '08 has both the regular armrest pulls and the funky lower handle on the rear doors only. 07's could have either depending when they were built.

My 4th Gen has the funky handles and I like them! Because the handle is further from the door latch you have to pull harder to get the door shut. Having to pull harder makes the door seem heavier, like a tank. Hehe. Really though, I'm so unbelievably used to mine I can't imagine having anything different. When ever I buy my future ST I actually hope to find one with the "funky" door handles. But surly I couldn't complain if it had both like JohnnyO's ST.

My early 07 has the handles at the front. I don't mind them, it didn't take long to get used to them. I do fear the windy days though, and the door taking off into something.
One thing I do like, is the solid back window without the fake or real slider, that mine has. The 3 piece rear window look doesn't really turn my crank.

My '08 has both the regular armrest pulls and the funky lower handle on the rear doors only. 07's could have either depending when they were built.

my 07 limited has both as well.

Yeah, my 07 XLT has both. I do like the solid and smooth one piece rear glass. I'd like it if they could have made the entire glass piece slide down like a window though. But I'd rather have what I do than the 3 piece look.

You guys are crazy not liking the rear slider! Its one of my favorite features of the truck. Took me months to find a v8 2nd Gen that had the slider..

2007 LTD Build Date 2- 8- 2007

door.jpg

That looks just like mine! I also love my 3--piece rear window/slider. I looked forever to find a Limited with a V-8, two-tone leather, sunroof and rear slider. It was worth the search. I use the sunroof almost every dry day and my rear slider gets lowered every chance I get.

Back