• Register Today It's free!

Ranger/Explorer body lift

Mcane6

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 sport 4x4
i have a 96 explorer sport and want to put a 2-3" body lift on it but cant find one to fit it. Would a 96 ranger body lift kit work on my 96 x or some other year make ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes you need the kit from the corrisponding year ranger and make your own bumper brackets

i believe for a 2" you need the performance accesories #792 , and the 3" would be #853......do a search for body lifts and you will find all the info you need

will have to add any extensions on anything for either body lift?

You will want to get the PA #853 kit, and then also order the front bumper brackets from the PA #883 kit (confused yet?). Then, after all that, you will have to fab up your own rear bumper brackets.

yeah some. But thanks. Where is a good place to order from, thats not so expensive? Should i go with a 2" or 3"? BC im tryin to go the simpliest way without adding alot of stuff but also have enough room to run 32" or 33"

try 4wheel parts or summit racing.the 2 " lift would be the easiest cause you dont have to use the steering extension or relocate the parking brake cable,with the 3" you will have to.i believe with the 2" you only have to move the fan shroud and the bumpers if you dont like the way they look. order a set of warrior shackles for the rear also , part#153 they will give you 1.5-2" of lift in the rear and raise your torsion bars in the front the same , this will give you 3.5 - 4" of total lift w/ a 2" bl,and you should be able to clear 32's easily.just my .02

do you have a guess on how much that setup would cost because i have a 98 sport and im looking to do the same thing for cheap.

thanks, that helps me out alot!!

one more ?? does the 96 sport have the mono-leaf under the rear end and if so will the warrior shackles still work without having to change anything out in the rear??

If you go 2" you're lookin at probably

$150 for body lift (id think somoenes selling one for a good price, check out the For Sale or Trade forum)
$50 for the shackles
$50 for an alignment after you do the TT
$45 for the front bumper brackets.

With the 2" susp and 2" body lift you can fit 32's very nicely.

How hard is it to install a body lift?

Mcane6: you're going to want to get 4 door leaf springs

oconner: all depends on how experienced you are. I did mine all by myself in a shop with air tools and it took me 27 straight hours (that included running around to stores looking for nuts and bolts and crap.. and no sleep). The second one i did to my friends truck with his help took me 8 hours, and that included replacing his radiator.

A little bit of advice if you do the body lift: Get a 1/2" drill bit thats about 12" long and drill out all the bushings. When you take the stock bolts out, if any are exactly 2" longer than the others, then put the 2" longer ones in the preceding bushings and you dont need to drill them. 2nd to last ones were able to use the bolts from the very rear on mine.

Either way: after you have the bolts out and them drilled run to home-depot or lowes and buy your own grade 5 bolts/washers/lock nuts and use them. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

where can i find a set of the 4 door leaf springs? and how much will they cost?

Back