Ranger V-8 swap help/ suggestions needed... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger V-8 swap help/ suggestions needed...

nofortunatesonII

Reaction score
I would like to put a 5.0L engine in my 1999 Ranger Sport 2WD. I figure the easiest way would be to find a donor 1999 Explorer 5.0L and use that engine, computer, engine wiring harness etc. My question revolves around the choice of an automatic trans. I was considering using one from a 1993 5.0L HO Mustang as I know where there is one available. Would this trans be compatible with the 1999 set-up. I realize the trans ties into the computer as the trans is computer controlled. Is this trans compatible with the 1999 computer/ wiring etc.??? Thanks.

Easiest way is to get the engine and 4R70W transmission from the a 99~2001 5.0L 2WD Explorer. The Ex PCM controls both the engine and transmission and would require no changes. Under the hood, the rest of the 99~2001 Ex electrical system is VERY similar to your 99 Ranger and would only require slight alterations. If you want a relatively easy, nearly plug and play 5.0 auto installation into your Ranger, this is truly the best way to go.

Back