rattle over bumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rattle over bumps

cfo20

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IN--IU almost made it! Maybe next year.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2wd Sport
When I drive in town, I hit some little potholes and bumps and I hear a rattle noise come from my undercarrige. I got under there and looked, but everything appeared intact. The shocks are fine, I just had the radius arm bushings replaced, and nothing else rattles when I touch it. It sounds like metal clanging together and it seems to be getting worse. Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it be a buggered up exhaust hanger?Or a loose spare tire?

If I were you I would check the exhaust hangers. Mine make noises sort of like that. Mine sound like metal vibrating on metal and I hear it when I start my X.

If it sounds like a loose washer vibrating, try checking the fornt sway bar where the first piece and the second piece of the sway bar assembly pivot. I've found that mine had come loose, it drove me nuts. (some days I don't think I fully recovered)

Check the heat shields for your cats. They rust and come loose in time.

mine makes the same sound. sometimes it will rattle when i slam the door shut.

I have noticed the same sound on my 1992. I know that there is a cable (parking brake?) that sits under the drivers side that makes noise. Also, I am having my ball joints replaced tomorrow and they make a rattleing noise when i go over potholes. Check those items too.

I have the exact same problem with mine. I have gone under there time and time again and get pissed everytime b/c I can't seem to find what is making that noise. Mine also sounds like it is coming from the drivers side rear of the vehicle. Please Help....

Pick one. :) I've also got a suspension noise from somewhere. Who knows where. Some of the most common are ball joints, radius bushings, sway-bar bushings, shock eyes, drop brackets, bla bla bla. I wish I could say this is it.... but there are so many differnt ones that it could be.

replacing the ball joints fixed my front end rattle. now i have a broken baffle that rattles in one of the mufflers and it is driving me crazy. rattles are often and annoying. i thnk that if you drive anytime off road you should come to expect some rattles.

Definetly check all the heat shields and little skid plates on the exhaust system. The bands that hold them on rust on top where you can't see it. This drove me nuts for a while. Once I found the culprit I just removed it.

when the heqat shields on my '94 went, i went down to the local hardware store and purchased two large metal hose clamps. i opened them up, put one around each, and tightened them right up. once in a while they need to be retightened (takes less than a minute with an electric screwdriver), but it is well worth it not to hear the rattle anymore.

-ken

Back