Rattle/"wah wah" noise after replacing rear crank seal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle/"wah wah" noise after replacing rear crank seal

bmdubya1198

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer EB 4x4
I recently replaced the rear crank seal on my dad's '04 Explorer (again... first one I put in when we dropped in the engine was leaking after a week) and once we reassembled everything, this noise appeared. It's sort of "wah wah" rattling noise. You can hear it pretty clearly in the video I've attached.
I installed a Ford seal with the sleeve, and figured that maybe the sleeve sort of had to wear itself in, and that it was the source of the noise, but I'm not too sure about that. Something is definitely making this noise in that general area, but I'm not sure exactly what.

I figured I would ask on here, since if I made a mistake here I'm sure someone else has done it too! I'll try to listen more closely this weekend and see if I can pinpoint anything.

The exhaust is a little loud in the video, the left side wasn't totally seated on the manifold when I took this. That has since been fixed. The engine is running very smoothly otherwise, no issues whatsoever.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interesting noise, havent heard that one before.

Yeah, it's weird. I'm not sure what it could be, but I'm assuming it's somewhere in the bell housing area, given that it seems to have started after dropping and replacing the transmission.

That sound sounds like something is not aligned properly or there's a slight bind. Recheck and make sure that all sides of the transmission are flush (and that you didn't accidentally get something caught between the motor and trans). Make sure that you did not forget to install the index plate. And make sure that you remembered to bolt the converter to the flex plate. Whatever it is, it can't be good. I wouldn't continue to run it until you figure it out. Since you didn't put it in gear, the only other thing I can think of is a possible trans pump issue, which again would point to a possible bind in the shaft. I've never heard this before, but this is my best advice/guess. I hope you figure it out.

It makes the noise regardless of the gear, so I don't think it's trans pump related. I will have to take a look this weekend and see if I can find anything. I don't think there were any issues with aligning anything, but of course that doesn't guarantee anything.

Did you put the flex plate back in same position? It could be rotated out of balance?
I don't remember exactly, my dad had been the one to remove it this time so he may or may not have installed it the same way. I feel like that would be causing additional vibrations, though.

Just finished reinstalling the trans after replacing the rear crank seal for the THIRD time. I made sure to check over everything, and I don't see any problems. The torque converter was aligned fine, and nothing seemed to be binding. Now that I have it back together, the noise is exactly the same.
Could this be the torque converter itself failing? When I push it all the way to the transmission and turn it, it grinds. But it sounds like that's normal for these converters. I don't know for sure, but I saw another thread where someone with a Sport Trac noticed this as well. Being that the converter is pulled forward by the flexplate, it shouldn't be making that noise while running. Then again, if there's a problem, it could certainly make that noise.

Now I just hope that the oil leak was just the crank seal, and not the upper oil pan gasket. I used the installation tool this time, so I don't expect there to be an issue.

Use a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the source of the noise.

It's absolutely the bell housing area. I'd touch the torque converter itself to be certain, but ya know... it spins 😜

Either the tc or the pump then. Sounds more likely to be the torque converter.

Agreed. I'll probably order a new TC soon. I hate to drop the trans for a third time, but it's really not that bad of a job. If that's what it takes...

Agreed. I'll probably order a new TC soon. I hate to drop the trans for a third time, but it's really not that bad of a job. If that's what it takes...
I feel you. I just had mine flare going into 2nd. I already have the AJ1E servo in it. I think I might just pull it and sleeve the bore. It lasted a good while though. Might just change the o rings but idk. Depends on how much I hate myself this week lol.

I had to replace the transmission drain plug today, so while I was under there I listened around again with the stethoscope to try and pinpoint this noise. I didn't hear anything on the bell housing, but I heard it most in the transmission pan. I could also hear it pretty clearly on the transmission and transfer case. This is leading me to believe it could be the pump, but I'm just not sure about that. The frequency of the noise sounds more like the torque converter, something with more weight to it compared to the pump.

Have both dowel pins between the block and transmission? Got the metal plate in there as well and it's not bent?

The spacer plate is there and in good shape. If I remember correctly, the dowel pins are as well.

I had to replace the transmission drain plug today, so while I was under there I listened around again with the stethoscope to try and pinpoint this noise. I didn't hear anything on the bell housing, but I heard it most in the transmission pan. I could also hear it pretty clearly on the transmission and transfer case. This is leading me to believe it could be the pump, but I'm just not sure about that. The frequency of the noise sounds more like the torque converter, something with more weight to it compared to the pump.

Grab a used torque converter and rebuild the pump with the transgo kit. Not difficult at all. Also, I remember seeing somewhere a guy had an issue where the TC was making contact with the pump bolts. I don't remember why or how he fixed it.

Grab a used torque converter and rebuild the pump with the transgo kit. Not difficult at all. Also, I remember seeing somewhere a guy had an issue where the TC was making contact with the pump bolts. I don't remember why or how he fixed it.
Huh, that's interesting. Usually it seems people have the issue of the torque converter not seating all the way back. The pump does seem fairly easy to access at least (once the trans is removed), so that's nice to see.

It's annoying thinking of all the work, but at the same time this truck has been practically rebuilt in the past year... might as well keep going and make it perfect!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I'll just order a rebuilt pump that uses the Sonnax valve. I've seen mention of an alignment tool, does anybody know if that's just for assembling the pump, or if it's necessary to install the pump onto the transmission? I haven't been able to find anything showing proper installation of the pump, and I don't want to have to do this more than once.

Back