• Register Today It's free!

Rattling Explorer

djmiller109

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I need help I have a 99 Explorer XLT with a SOHC. I have had it tuned up, new wires, filter, etc. I have this rattling sound that started about two weeks ago. It starts around 40 mph. When I drop below 40 mph it stops. Has anyone experienced this. Could I need to have my timing belt replaced? Or is it something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be a virbration in the drivetrain thats causing somthing to rattle...

Welcome to the forums!!

I had the same thing a while back, turned out it was the loose change in my cupholder....

j/k where does the sound come from? Front, rear, left, right, interior? Just to help us pinpoint it... maybe your tires need to be balanced and your hood needs to be tightend. that happend to me once... the hood bounced up and down cuz the holders were screwed in too far and were not putting pressure on the hood.

Viper

hey, ive have the same problem on my 2001 explorer. Took it to ford and said it was nothing... people have told me its the timing chains, but i think its got something to do with the interior fan system behind the dash. my noises is like a fan rattling on plastic as the blades rub on the casing or something. it comes from the lhs... in aussie so thats the passenger side here, but the drivers side in the us... so it might be abit different. i have just got to get time to pull the dash apart and go searching :(

I just got my 2000 Explorer checked by my mechanic. He put it on the lift and ran it. After 5 minutes or so he got out the stethoscope and says it is the chain inside the transfer case. We changed everything in the front end first. Still the noise. Sounds like dragging chains. I orders a new transfer case from Monster transmission. It will be here next week and will install then. Cross your fingers for me. Pretty sure though because it was real loud with the scope.

OK fellas
Got my 2000 Explorer back today and she is sweet. It was the transfer case making all that rackett. It appears the chain was very loose and the front drive shaft bearing was in bad shape. All is good now though. Monster tansmissions is a great place to shop for all your needs in that respect.

Back