• Register Today It's free!

Rattling noise in 2wd

Jakers_AK

Reaction score
City, State
North Pole, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
So for a while now I've been hearing a rattling noise when driving down the road (not the timing chain rattle I know what that sounds like). It almost sounds like a chain or a gear in the t case maybe. I just tuned it out for the longest time until the other day I realized the noise goes away when i put it in 4x4. And idk if it's related or not but my obd scanner won't communicate with the 4x4 module. Any ideas?

Not sure I’ve ever talked to the 4wd control
Module in one of these trucks, they do have a iso wire that is for communications but kone of my scanners will
Locate or report any info from 4wd

I would check your front driveshaft make sure the front u joint is ok and the ball flange where it connects to the t case

You should put the front end up in the air tires off the ground get underneath and have a look

The t case in these trucks is very strong, not very often would they make a chain noise internal unless you ran it dry?

Time for a shake down test, with the truck in n and in 2wd support front end safely chock a rear tire and get under there with a flashlight and pry bar… see if you can find something loose and that would rattle

E brake cables
Front driveline
Exhaust shields

Cv axles
U joints
Front diff
T case
Trans mount
All suspect since it apparently goes away in 4wd my first through it is u joint

Not sure I’ve ever talked to the 4wd control
Module in one of these trucks, they do have a iso wire that is for communications but kone of my scanners will
Locate or report any info from 4wd

I would check your front driveshaft make sure the front u joint is ok and the ball flange where it connects to the t case

You should put the front end up in the air tires off the ground get underneath and have a look

The t case in these trucks is very strong, not very often would they make a chain noise internal unless you ran it dry?

Time for a shake down test, with the truck in n and in 2wd support front end safely chock a rear tire and get under there with a flashlight and pry bar… see if you can find something loose and that would rattle

E brake cables
Front driveline
Exhaust shields

Cv axles
U joints
Front diff
T case
Trans mount
All suspect since it apparently goes away in 4wd my first through it is u joint

I'm going to see if I can get it up on my friends lift so I can have someone in the cab operate the switch and see if i can pin point the source of the noise underneath. I should clarify the noise. It's hard to put in to words but it's not just a random clanky noise. It is a steady rattle like if you were to stick a wrench in the spokes of a bike tire as it was spinning. If that makes sense lol

Back