• Register Today It's free!

Rattling sound coming from front

Quick

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Wow, it has been years since I've posted here. My avatar still is my old 93 Explorer Sport!

Anyway..

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT V8 and for the last few months I've been hearing this rattling sound.

It only happens when I'm in a certain speed. For example, between 20-23mph it will happen, and between 40-43mph.

It is now starting to happen more frequently. I have no idea what it is. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the front left wheel. I know this because when I'm driving next to a high median or curb, the sound is echoed off of it and amplified, as if I was in the right lane, I can hear it, but not nearly as well.

Anyone experience this? Any suggestions where to start? I'm starting to drive me nuts! :confused:

do youhave the moulding around the wheel wells? i have the same rattle as you describe, and i believe it is a loose fastner on the moulding. i only hear it at about 40 to 45mph, 60 to 75, i dont hear it at all.

I had the same problem but noticed mine more at lower speeds when accelerating. Ended up having to replace the flyweel....it was "defective" according to the dealer. i have the v8 also

Back