Ray Lobato's Before and after | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ray Lobato's Before and after

Well, I guess I'll put up my before and after pictures since I just got it back. Actually my before picture has the 2" Torsion Bar Twist and Old Man Emu rear springs. More to come on the underside later.

moab_rayledge.jpg

Dead Link Removed

• Tires: 33X12.5 R15 BFG KO's
  • Wheels: American Eagle Ar-117 15x8's
  • Front Suspension: Trailmaster 4" Ranger lift kit
  • Rear Suspension: Skyjacker 4" lifted springs
  • Shocks: 4" lifted SSV's.
  • Lift: 2" body lift
  • Gear Ratio: 3.55:1 (Waiting for the ARB to come, so I can put 4.10's)
  • Differantials: Rear: open (Waiting for a ARB to be available), Front: open
  • Transfercase: Advanced Adaptor Atlas II 3.78:1 Lo
  • Plug wires: Magnacor 8.5mm
  • Spark plugs: Bosh Platinium 4+
  • Power: Interstate/Optima Yellow Top
  • Lights: PIAA Pro 80XT's, PIAA 520's
  • Cargo Rack: Con-Ferr
  • Winch: Ramsey Platinum 9500 with Serria Wraparound winch mount.
  • Front Tow hooks: GM full size tow hooks
  • Rear Tow hooks: Ford rear tow loop
  • CB Radio: Cobra 29NT-ST
  • GPS: Garmin GPS III Plus
  • Misc: Front& Rear swaybar disconnects,shock mount protectors,T-case/Torsion Bar skidplate, Hi-Lift jack, Granatelli rear diff cover/support, Power One CO2 tank, Bushwacker Extend-A-Fenders
    The engine breaths better with a K&N drop-in filter.

• [Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-16-2000 at 05:45 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good, especially with the PIAA's on there, but who's that weinery guy driving? LOL j/k, theres the pot calling the kettle black :). That lifted late-model explorer look is just boss, I especially like the winch mount... too bad that Ford wants so much for the newer Explorers, they look great though. So what was the total damage just out of curiosity for the lift, tires and wheels, winch and winch mount, lights, transfer case and labor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks Great Ray! You've got to be super happy with your new beast. I can't wait to see it out at Truckhaven. I hope you can make it to our pre-run the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Dang!

Dang Ray, too bad I just got back in town yesterday! I'd run on down to Hollister with ya.. If I had the dang truck! (it's still in the frame shop, getting the drop brackets strengthened so they stop moving).

Hopefully, I'll get it back this coming week (I've got to get it back - it's due for a smog check, and plates by Nov 16!)

If you want, we can do a quick run to Hwy 4/Ebbett's pass and do some rock crawling.. Or is that too far with the 3.55's and 33's?

I must say, Ray's truck looks and performs awesome!!! You should have seen the looks on other people's faces when they saw this late-model Explorer ripping up the rocks! I think they were all expecting Ray to get stuck.

Now if only I had that lift......

Dang, Ray, that is looking Gooooooood!!! WooHoo!!

Looks great Ray! Dead Link Removed Can't wait to run with you next year! BTW, I may cheap out on the ARB setup and get a Powertrax No-Slip locker instead. I'm still mulling that one over. I have plenty of time to think it over.

Armor plate, winch, new stuff: have you weighed it yet? We could have a "Guess the weight" contest for your vehicle... you keep bolting stuff on it and it'll earn a nickname. How about "El Gordo"? Dead Link Removed

Rear Springs

Ray,
How do you like those rear springs? They seem to extend quite a bit more than stock.
I plan to be at TruckHaven. I wouldn't miss seeing you and Juan go head to head with your bad-a$$ late models!
Rick

Backspacing

Very nice looking rig Ray. What kind of backspacing do those rims have? I would like to find some that push my tires out a little more than stock but not too far. Your's have good symmetry with your body and flares. Thanks.

rafar99,

The offset on my AE-117's is -18mm and the backspacing is 3 3/4"

Thanks for pointing out that typo for me Tom
Ray

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-26-2000 at 08:41 PM]

Ray, for your CB location problem just get a Cobra-In-Mike like mine.

You have an AR-117? Is that like an AR-15? I don't have any offset, but its 2 clicks up for 200, 3 more for 300. :)

Sorry, bad humor...

Thanks for pointing out that typo for me Tom.
It should be AE-117.
Ray

Dead Link Removed

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-26-2000 at 08:42 PM]

Hehe...you could always use Kentuky windage if that doesn't work.

Very nice Ray, it's definitely worth the wait, headaches, and the money. Now, is Sandy still talking to you after all these mods??????

Khoa.

Khoa, I believe you can tack on the cost of a new backyard pool and a few other goodies onto the real expense of Ray's lift.

Ka-ching~ !

Sandy gets her toys, I get mine. Dead Link Removed
Actually she has been right in there with me on this. Just the other day she informed me that I needed to put some running boards on so she could get into the truck. I told her that I would need to have them custom made so as to not only act as a step for her to get into the truck, but to also serve as rocker panal protectors/rock sliders, she said as long as it looks good. They will be ready in about 3 weeks. Now all I need is a rear bumper/tire carrier, and a Premier Power Welder, and I should be finished, that is until I decide to do a front Dana 44. Dead Link Removed By that time then I will probably go with a full exterior roll cage, 35's and it will be a "trailer Queen" for sure. Just kidding. Dead Link Removed

Back