RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

Well we installed the TruTrac, 4.56s and Deaver leafs Saturday at Mechanix place. I also installed the ARG power steering pump Sunday.

Shes torquey as hell with 31s lol. Has some awesome angle too with the leafs, not too much not too little.

There is some problem I am looking into. There is a ticking noise coming from the rear which gets louder and more frequent when accelerating. It seems to be getting worse the more I drive it, so I stopped. I don't want the $710 I have in the rear end to go up in smoke.

I will be looking into it more today but I believe it is because we set the pre load on the pinion too high. It jumped from 5 up to 45 while we were installing it and is recommended to be between 15 and 20.

So I think I'm going to run over and buy another rebuild kit after work. Probably start tearing her apart again later tonight or tomorrow.

Kinda sucks but sh|t happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your U joint or pinion are not too happy with the new pinion angle I would not drive it like that too much :)
Shims? weld on new perches at an acceptable angle?

Pictures?

If it was the pinion angle wouldn't it have done it immediately? not got progressivly worse? I only went up another 1.5-2" in the rear.

What exactly does a bad bearing sound like? My first thought was the pre-load on the pinion cuz it was over 2x as hard to turn the shaft as the gear install said to tighten it.

I guess it could be pinion angle but it really doesn't look that bad. I'll get some pics and show you.

Anybody know where I can order/have someone fab a lift gate tire mount for 35s?

The lift gate on the sploder wont support a tire well at all. You could have a good swingaway built. My friend out here builds them for pretty much everything. If you make it out here I can set you up with him and you can see into it

If you find faulty work, I will come pick it up on a trailer and take another look at it.

Let me know.

TheRookie said:
The lift gate on the sploder wont support a tire well at all. You could have a good swingaway built. My friend out here builds them for pretty much everything. If you make it out here I can set you up with him and you can see into it

Not to hijack the thread, but who do u know that makes rear tire carriers, I would def be interrested in getting one if the price was right.

Thanks,

Jake

r37ribution said:
Anybody know where I can order/have someone fab a lift gate tire mount for 35s?

i thought about this. decided against and here is why :

for starters the weight above my ahead god know the rear hatch is heavy enough. If i went with heavier shocks/struts thingys i think it would open or prehaps duel stock ones. or go super fab and do a hydro lift or something. (costs kill that tho).

I am give you my uncles number he builts frames from race cars and can bend dom tube (1-1/2 i believe is him preferred/only size?) for you at a reasonable price, he is in edmore (over in montcalm county) and you can mount that on.

Depending on you install, i might look at this again

j

95xploderboy
you got pm

Alright, I tore apart the entire rear end last night and replaced the outer pinion bearing and installed a new crush collar and pinion nut. I also picked up the ABS toner from Reider racing for the TruTrack so I should have ABS once again.

The pinion now spins freely.

As I was taking her apart, I noticed the drivers side parking brake was FUBAR'ed. I believe this was causing the ticking. I got the rotors turned and bought new carbon fiber/metalic pads.

Will post pics later tonight.

Gear install

Alright I finally got the pics, just been pretty busy lately. I went to Florida April 16th thru the 22nd and just been gettin back into the rhythm of things since.

Here is my carrier getting all torqued down with the new ABS ?toner? (I think thats what they are called)

dcfn00016fq.jpg

and here she is all assembled...

dcfn00027up.jpg

the rear all torn apart...

dcfn00045jk.jpg

another shot without the flash

dcfn00055ox.jpg

the same night I had the whole thing apart it started raining :rolleyes: throughout the entire night!

I must say the autozone carbon fiber metallic pads are awesome! Best pads I have had on the truck to date even with the 35s. We also accidentally "flushed" the brake fluid after we installed the braided brake lines in the rear; both of which probably contributed to the better braking power. We were bleeding the lines and basically bled the master dry. My cousin said we got lucky we didn't have to bench bleed (I think this is what he said) the master cylinder. Anyways the fluid is nice and clear now :D

I now have a delima, after getting back from my Florida fiasco with the help of whatever Miracle there was. God knows someone/thing was on our side. Click to read the story.

I don't know what I'm going to do about my motor. I have a lifetime warranty through Aamco on my trans which is why I'm considering dropping in a 4.0 SHOC since it should bolt up right? Otherwise I'd put in a 5.0.

Anyways here are some pictures of the truck on 35s with 17s...

dcfn00170ob.jpg

dcfn00100nk.jpg

dcfn00091tb.jpg

dcfn00088jn.jpg

dcfn00125vg.jpg

Does anyone know if a gearbox install is possible with IFS?

I searched a lil and have yet to find someone who has installed a gearbox in a 2nd gen and not gone SAS.

I got a bad tie rod end and I have only had the 35s for 1000 miles. The rack is prolly gonna go soon too since I can't get my brand new PS pump to quit moaning. I jacked it up and turned the wheel back 'n forth around 150 times.

$400 for the Dixon Bros setup is a lot and a gearbox would be nice.

To help with the moan you can try to turn the truck off jack it up and turn the wheel lock to lock, sometimes there is trapped air in the system and this helps get it out.

I don't think going to a gear box is going to get rid of the noise, it is in the pump it self. But if you decide to get a gear box kit I am eager to take a peek at it.

Eric

r37ribution said:
I jacked it up and turned the wheel back 'n forth around 150 times.
^^ That was lock to lock :rolleyes:

I talked to AGR Performance and they said if the pump really has 200k on it the seals or something might be going and there could be a restriction causing one of the lines on the suction side of the pump to collapse.

Does this sound like he is tryin to help me or give me a load of BS?

As far as the gear install goes...it sounded like a good idea but looks to be more trouble than it's worth:
Jefe said:
WHAT? :confused: I agree that the inner TRE's suck on the R&P but why would you want to go with a steering box??? You'd have to fab to mount the box (not sure you even could with the crossmember still in place), fab up a idler arm, fab up all new steering linkage to match the stock geometry, all the while trying to keep it inside the stock crossmember. :eek:

r37ribution said:
Does anyone know if a gearbox install is possible with IFS?

I searched a lil and have yet to find someone who has installed a gearbox in a 2nd gen and not gone SAS.

I got a bad tie rod end and I have only had the 35s for 1000 miles. The rack is prolly gonna go soon too since I can't get my brand new PS pump to quit moaning. I jacked it up and turned the wheel back 'n forth around 150 times.

$400 for the Dixon Bros setup is a lot and a gearbox would be nice.

you could do it with an idler arm like the toyota ifs setup, but that would take some custom work to set it up right. even then though you'd still be using the same tie rod ends.

r37ribution said:
I talked to AGR Performance and they said if the pump really has 200k on it the seals or something might be going and there could be a restriction causing one of the lines on the suction side of the pump to collapse.

I'd have to agree that the pump is probably getting old, but I'd just replace it with a rebuilt Ford pump.

Jefe said:
I'd have to agree that the pump is probably getting old, but I'd just replace it with a rebuilt Ford pump.
That was a typo, I meant to say the rack. The pump is a brand new reman from AGR Performance power steering.

The sentence should have read:
R37ribution said:
I talked to AGR Performance and they said if the rack really has 200k on it the seals or something might be going and there could be a restriction causing one of the lines on the suction side of the pump to collapse.

I was wondering if a rack as old as mine could cause a restriction in a new pump, even collapse the tubing for the PS system and make the pump moan.

Nick26 said:
you could do it with an idler arm like the toyota ifs setup, but that would take some custom work to set it up right. even then though you'd still be using the same tie rod ends.
I would be interrested in seeing how this setup works even if I don't use it. I'll have to look into it. A gear box would be nice especially if my rack is going, but I would really like to rid myself of the sock tie rods.

Well, I have resurrected her. Shes up and running once again with a fresh Ford METAL lower intake gasket and two metal Ford valve cover gaskets. Everything torqued to spec.

For the 4.0L OHV I would definately recommend going with stock gaskets; far superior quality than the aftermarket cork-like ones.

Oh and I found the reason why my lower intake sprung a leak the way it did, yes it was a stock metal Ford gasket. Rather interresting, really makes me question any work the previous mechanic did on my truck.

More on that to come later tonight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's things like this that make me question the previous mechanic's skills:
dcfn0024ed9vg.jpg

You can see where he installed the lower intake on the gasket with the rubber water port folded over!

Oh and 410, you were right about my driveshaft...

SOA + custom leafs + stock drive shaft length + bump + braking at the same time = :eek:
dcfn0023ed2zf.jpg

Back