RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

r37ribution

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsi/MI Y town! whoot whooot!!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 "Sport" XLT 4.0L OHV
hey guys guess what...IM GETTING RID OF MY TORTION BARS

just got an RCD kit the Friday before last from redranger4.0! I drove all the way to connecticut to pick this baby up, got a lil tan while i was there too :)

i believe i will soon be the first exploder with a front RCD suspension (plz correct me if im wrong)...

unfortunately it's gonna be a while before it gets installed tho. I just bought an '89 RX7 Turbo, paid 2 insurance notes, 2 car notes, and bought this lift kit...I need to get caught up on my credit card payments and I owe a few of my family members some money cuz of this. I do not like to be in debt to anyone and as much as i hate to say it, i will make paying them back a top priority even over this lift install.

newayz back to the lift kit ~ it has 10k on the kit and was used for sometime by redranger4.0. He said it was one of the first RCD ever made. He was a really cool guy and hooked me up with a LOT of extra parts i might need. the only thing that was missing was the upper shock mount reinforcement brackets for the front coil overs. RCD found that without these, the upper front shock mount was not strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle. red partially destroyed his during the uninstall from removing the welds and offered to contact RCD for me and ship them directly to my door.

I need:
- upper shock mount reinforcement brackets (awaiting red's shipment)
- Rear perches
- 410 (or bigger) front and rear end with limited slip. either my truck didnt have limited slip or the 198k on my truck wore it out. I'm very interrested in the limited slip setup in the new Rangers, RedRanger pointed out to me that they are gear driven and do not need any limited slip additive...any comments?
- all new rear leafs, mine are hit!
- 33" or bigger tires (eventually). i currently run 31" tires and i will be installing this on a 4.0L OHV X. this is why i need the bigger gears.

I'll try to get some pics of the kit here shortly...

Please fellas try not to get impatient if I don't reply right away. I just got a new position in Comcast where I'm going from Sun-Thurs 1:30p-10:30p to Mon-Fri 7a-4p and I'm a very busy person. I'll try to reply ASAP.

:Update 11/9/05:
- upper shock mount reinforcement brackets arrived a few weeks ago
- 11/04/05 - 4.56 gears, rear end rebuild kit, Detroit TrueTrac purchased
- pics of parts posted on page 3!
:Update 12/20/05:
- 12/09/05 - 4.56 gears and rebuild kit for the front D35 are currently riding around with me in the back seat. At least for now, the front diff will remain open to keep it road friendly.
- 12/20/05 - I ordered Dead Link Removed. They should be here by the end of the week, maybe beginning of next...
:Update 01/13/06:
- Dead Link Removed and Dead Link Removed ordered.
- Install date set for Saturday January 21st at Mechanix's place. TheRookie is gonna come out too.
:Update 02/06/06:
- 01/04/06 - RCD 5" front suspension lift and rear SOA installed! Pics and a write up soon to come. We didn't have time to install the gears but I will be going back to Mechanix to swap out leafs, the rusty shackles, gears, and do something about the dinky brake line I have running to the rear axle.
:Update 02/07/06:
- Pics of the installed lift on page 8.
:Update 02/15/06:
- 02/14/06 - Deaver leafs ordered.
- 02/15/06 - Deaver leafs shipped.
:Update 02/20/06:
- Leafs arrived today. Pics posted below.

-02/20/06
- Well my leafs came today and man it was a pretty sight seenin them sittin in front of my side door when I came home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those parts are on the way to my house i had them sent here so that i can check to make sure they are correct. then i will forward them out to. i still have your number so ill call you when they come in.

thats awsome keep us up to date on the progress, and if it works for you i think i might jump on that band wagon too

finally somebody got this kit! i cant wait to see it on an explorer

redranger4.0 said:
those parts are on the way to my house i had them sent here so that i can check to make sure they are correct. then i will forward them out to. i still have your number so ill call you when they come in.
ok cool I'll be waiting :thumbsup:

BigDave!!!,4.0L_4X4_Rob: Yeah I can't wait either, I hate these tortion bars!

This should be one awesome project. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

And yes, torsion bars suck. :thumbdwn:

pics?

boominXplorer said:
I gotta wait until Friday (at the earliest) to buy a digi cam, kinda broke at the moment. The project hasn't started yet. I'm still waiting on pay checks and red's shipment of the upper shock mount reinforcers.

I want to start the front first, since SOA is quite common I shouldn't have many issues with the rear. This way if any hickups surface I will run into them when I first start the lift, not after it's over half way complete.

boomin - in your 'sex change' thread I remember you had a severe vibration issue when you converted to SOA. Did you ever remedy this issue? and what ended up being the problem?

my vibration was a screwed up alignment and upper CA bushings (uncommon)

I'm tryin to figure out how to post pics, never done it before. I have a few that red took for me before I drove out to buy the kit.

I'm guessing you gotta be a premium member to post attachments?

boomin - the upper CA bushing isu, was that a problem before you converted to SOA? I have a LOT of miles and this sounds like it my be something I need to look at.

nice nice...i like what i'm hearing, i also checked out the RCD kit..and i actually know a guy running it, he doesn't belong to the forum so i guess you're the first on here..it's an awesome kit you should be happy w/it especially since you didn't have to pay full retail(it's expensive)

white96x said:
nice nice...i like what i'm hearing, i also checked out the RCD kit..and i actually know a guy running it, he doesn't belong to the forum so i guess you're the first on here..it's an awesome kit you should be happy w/it especially since you didn't have to pay full retail(it's expensive)
thats great news. did he have any fitting issues? i have heard that the front suspension part numbers on a ranger are exactly the same as those for the X, but any add'l info or unforseen issues would be helpfull.

nebody wanna host some pics?

www.imageshack.us is free.

it's against the rules for an elite member to host pics for you.

or you could just become elite and have your own gallery. :D

so is the kit on or what? if it is how is the handling compared to T bars?

those peices should be in the mail

BigDave!!! said:
so is the kit on or what? if it is how is the handling compared to T bars?

its not the peices he still needs are in the mail to him.

heres an idea of the height. this is the kit that was sold to him on my truck with 33x12.5 xterrains

108-0887_IMG.jpg

well how did it ride compared to having T bars? i heard the ride was much better with coilovers

it was ten times better then stock

Sorry guys for not replying...for some reason I'm not getting email notifications in my yahoo mail anymore. It's been acting pretty flaky and its almost like the junk mail filter is working backwards lately.

redranger - I actually recieved the pieces in the mail only a few hours after I called you last Friday! I was amazed. I'm also still very interrested in the differentials of the newer rangers, if you got any further info on this that'd be cool. I think I'm gonna go poke around a lil on rangerpowersports.com

I get paid Friday so I'm gonna go looking for stiff leafs - if anyone has any recommendations as far as that goes please let me know! I'd like a ride thats not real loose. Then again that may not be best for flex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Deaver or national leafs :)

Back