re-torquing lower intake bolts

jakerot

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4DR
Hello everyone,

I have another post dealing with fuel pump leak vs. fuel injector leak. I have pretty much found out what I need to do to remedy that problem, thanks to every one here.

Now I am going to attempt to tackle another nagging problem I have had for a while.

i have read around and found out that the lower intake manifold bolts tend to loosen up on older explorers.

I have a 1992 4dr 4x4 with 137k mles on it.

It has a slow coolant leak. I replaced all hoses, didnt help I did notice that it leaked more and i could smell it burning prior to changing my thermostat. Once I changed the thermostat, the leak was reduced substantially and no more smell. I dont see any drips on the ground. I also have a slow oil leak that does drip on the ground very slowly.

So now i am going to retorque the bolts with the hopes of eliminating this problem.

In all the posts i have read, the oil leak symptom associated with the loose bolts dealt with the leaking oil bieng burnt.

My question is if indeed my lower intake manifold bolts need tightning, could that potentially fix a slow external oil leak?

I notice drops of oil on and around the oil dran plug.

Also, when I remove the upper intake, is there a technique to removing it so the gasket stays in tact, or should i just go ahead and replace the upper intake manifold gasket while i am at it.

Thanks all for your help and advice

Jakerot

PS I am gonna check the #5 plug condition. It has been said the condition of the #5 plug will be a good indicator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replace the gasket..... normal oil buildup around the drainplug is possible.... we change a lot of oil at work and almost all cars pick up crap from the roads....... also, if it is bad, check to make sure your drain plug is tight......

Your vintage also has a known history of a rear main seal leak as well. My 91 does.

couldn't hurt to retorque your lower manifold. do it. I've been trying to track down an oil leak on mine. my #5 AND #2 plug have deposits on them; i'm waiting to see if more crud turns up on them.

jimabena74

thanks for the info........yep the plug is tight.......but not too tight. Ok i will replace the gasket while I am at it.

rossneag

Where exactly is the rear main seal?

Thanks for your help

rgds,

Jakerot

Oil Leak

If the lower intake bolts are loose, as I'm sure they will be, oil can/will leak out from the rear of the manifold. It will run down the back of the block and appear around the rear of the oil pan.
If you can squeeze your hand behind the valve covers, you just may find it soaked with oil.Of course when the upper manifold is taken off, its much easier to check this out.
Its often mistaken for a leaking rear main, when in fact its the intake manifold leaking.
Check it out and good luck.

Thanks again for your help, everyone.

Yesterday I pulled the upper intake off. Boy, is that AC hose a pain in the a**. A few of the lower intake bolts were loose, but some were still tight. Unfortunately, i didnt reach behind the valve covers to see if there is oil leaking there. I will try later though.

Lets see if this gets rid of my slow oil / coolant leak.

Best Regards,

Jakerot

Dont wait

you really should pull the lower intake and replace the gasket. I just did mine and it was shot. no amount of tightening would have cure the 'leak' (one qt every tankfull!!) it started out like yours too. just a sugestion.

Back