REALLLLY BAD gas mpg | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

REALLLLY BAD gas mpg

Dead Link Removed

Doc :,
this is what and where I ordered from,also I was told if
registering online at autoxray......I get 3 years warranty !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford says 65psi is normal, the ticking I am hearing is most likely my injectors firing, and to fix my milage replace my thermostat.... 9 outta 10 times he says that will help alot....
This was one of the nicest guys I have ever talked to at Bill Currie Ford... very helpful.
I am going to do that, so we'll see.
I wish I had an autoxray... I wonder... I could just drive to sarasota and pay al to use his :)
-----Nate

Cruise control does not have eyes. It can not see hills coming. When using cruise control where there are hills, it will lag at the bottom of the hill and speed will drop 2 or 3 mph. It will then try to compensate for this and will drop one or 2 gears. If you are driving on flat roads it will do the job fine and keep you at a steady speed.

I took a 200 mile trip twice within 2 weeks (filling up at the same gas stations) and used cruise control the first time and didnt use it the second time. I averaged 19mpg on the first trip and 21mpg on the second trip.

Where do you check the fuel pressure?

I bought a fuel pressure tester / guage with fittings for for from discount auto parts for $30.
It pops onto the test port on the fuel rail. It has a small blue cap on it, looks like what you inflate your tires with... schrader valve I think it's called.
Anyways it was pretty simple....
None the less... time to buy that $30 thermostat.

if its a schrader valve, cant you just put on a regular tire pressure gauge?

Considering the amount of gas that would be spraying everywhere, I certainly wouldnt reccomend it.
Pressure guages have special bleed valves etc... I would cough up the $$$ if you wanna check.

lol, makes sense. ;)

Originally posted by HokieBert
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 98FordX24
In most cases, using the cruise will reduce MPG.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious about this one too...

Less changes in speed - better mpg. :D

When i had a Ford Probe, it got a computer in it which monitored some things and mpg among them. It showed average mpg and immediate mpg, so looking at immediate mpg I was able to say that less changes in speed - better mpg and cruise really reduce mpg.

In most cases, using the cruise will reduce MPG.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------if used properly it will also reduce speeding tickets

I dont believe that one bit!

When I use my cruise control, I see better gas mileage.

It must all be in the way you operate your gas pedal.

It must all be in the way you operate your gas pedal.

But if you're using cruise control, you're not operating the gas pedal.

Originally posted by DocVijay
But if you're using cruise control, you're not operating the gas pedal.
Correct.

In theory, all of our cruise control systems should work the same way, therefore yielding the same results if driven in the same conditons (there are many other factors that would keep that from happening, but just go with it). Now, if you have different drivers all using their foot, you will come up with different results. Some will be better than the crusie control and some will be worse. Its all in the way you operate the gas pedal. One person could drive the same 200 miles another person drives and come up with a different number because they have a heavy foot. See what I'm saying?

BTW, on my last tank of gas I got 12.8 MPG :( I'm gonna stop by a shop and get a scan done.

Thats why you have to get a V8 Explorer for good mileage:p . My moms 97' Mounty was stock and got about 15mpg in the city with her lead ass foot, and her 00' Mounty she got last year averages between 15-16mpg in all city driving and thats mainly with me with a very heavy foot (gotta love how fast the 5.0 takes off from a stop).

The 94' (R.I.P.) I had with chip, headers, intake and exhaust could only get about 14.5mpg in the city even with 3.27 gears

My sisters 01' XLT she got for her b-day last month has the sohc V6 and only 3.55 gears which should help mileage and she doesn't drive hard and it's averaging 13mpg:confused:

Same thing with all the other people I know with the sohc or ohv V6 Explorers/Mounty's, they all get worse mileage then the other guys I know including me who drive our 5.0's pretty damn hard. Even on that gas thread on here most of the 5.0's were getting better mileage then the V6's save for Aldive's freak of a truck;)

5.0's all the way:D , also cruise does work, our Mounty (2wd) will get about 21mpg between 75-85mph. Drove up to Orlando for Thanksgiving with my mom, sister and I with luggage and everything, she had cruise set on 85-90mph the whole way and when we ended up getting about 19-20mpg with all of us at that speed, 5.0's just effortlessly (sp?) cruise.

well saleen.. u live down south where temp is nicer, roads are straighter.. and your is a 2wd.. i drive up and down hills, in -20 degrees, and awd.. so i guess i cant complain about crappy gas mileage if i was gettin 12 or so, but im gettin less than 10 sometimes with a light foot

Back