REALLLLY BAD gas mpg | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

REALLLLY BAD gas mpg

whats the price for one of those?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The BG44K stuff is not snake oil. It's the only fuel injector cleaner that I use. It made a huge difference on my previous car, and plan on running some through my X pretty soon.

The hardest part is finding the stuff - since only dealers have it. The can is about 20 bucks, last time i needed it i had to buy it from a Chevy dealer.

welp the mpg from my trip sucked. got 12.4 mpg going up to PA and 12.9 on the way home. the way up i was doing 75 just about the whole way with cruse on. and comming home i did 70 allmost the whole way with cruse on.. thats bad mpg. the last trip a few weeks ago i got allmost 15 mpg.

Mike

Damn, that really sucks Mikke!

Im still betting it's because your useing the heater!??

It does it to me also.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention that causes drastic mpg problems in the winter is the people who start their engines and let them run to warm up. Depending on how long it sits idling you could easily cut your mileage in half.

In most cases, using the cruise will reduce MPG.

emerald.. if that is true about running your car and warming it up causes less mpg.. then im def a victim of that.. i start my car about 5-10 mins before i actually move. I have a remote starter, so i start my car from my dorm, about 500 feet away and on the 5th floor. I go down the elevator, walk to the lot and get in my car, turn the music on, by the time i clear the snow or ice off my car.. itz easily 5-10 mins.

Originally posted by 98FordX24

Say what? Please explain your comment.

Thanks,,,,

Originally posted by 97emerald
The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention that causes drastic mpg problems in the winter is the people who start their engines and let them run to warm up. Depending on how long it sits idling you could easily cut your mileage in half.

That is a very good point. I was going to menion this in my last post, but forgot!

Before I drive off, I warm my Ex up for about 10 min. At the very least, 5 min!

I never thought warming the truck up would make my gas mileage go down that much?

I doubt that a 5 to 10 min warm up ill cause significant drop in mileage.

Originally posted by aldive
I doubt that a 5 to 10 min warm up ill cause significant drop in mileage.

I dont either, but then you have to realize how many times a day you warm your Ex.

I warm mine 2-4 times aday 5-6 days a week!

I know for a fact that in the winter they add something to the gas and lower mpg is normal. No need to get upset.

Originally posted by Naga Sadow
I know for a fact that in the winter they add something to the gas and lower mpg is normal. No need to get upset.

Yes, they use the oxygenated fuel here in El Paso, but this didn't happen last year. It's only recently. They use hte special gas from October to March. This drop inmilage did not start in October. Good theory, but unlikely.

Originally posted by DocVijay
Yes, they use the oxygenated fuel here in El Paso, but this didn't happen last year. It's only recently. They use hte special gas from October to March. This drop inmilage did not start in October. Good theory, but unlikely.

These winter gases do cause "some" loss of mileage but not that much.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 98FordX24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by aldive
Say what? Please explain your comment.

Thanks,,,,

I'm curious about this one too...

my mileage could be better as well ?,I go max 220 miles on a full tank.I used to go 300 when the truck was new.
and I'm on top of things when it comes to tuneups and such. but the weight of the ome springs,and everything else I put in the truck has made it much heavier,and I have the custom safari rack as well.

I always wanted a scanner,so I just ordered one !

I just got 9.6 mpg... I would say I have a problem :(
(*Calls ford about returnless fuel system pressure*)

yup :, came with a case for $229. I got it from one of the dealers on the site you posted !,the tech at autoxray told me to save a few $$ and get it at one of the places online !

this is going to come in handy !!

Al :, thanks for the tip,chances are I wouldn't have ordered it for some time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by William Schumacher
yup :, came with a case for $229. I got it from one of the dealers on the site you posted !,the tech at autoxray told me to save a few $$ and get it at one of the places online !

this is going to come in handy !!

Al :, thanks for the tip,chances are I wouldn't have ordered it for some time.

Which site did you order it from?

Back