Mike

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
West Babylon, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT v8 AWD
Ok i know i have a v8 im not going to get 30 mpg. but ever since gas prices went up im noticing im getting worse and worse mpg with my truck. i allways get 50 miles per 1/4 tank of gas. right now i have 1/2 a tank i filled up yesterday and i only have 48 miles. WTF!!?!? thats like 2 mpg what could it be? my truck has 40k nothing done to it other then k&n its never had a tune up or anything only thing i have done is change oil and trany fluid. what could it be? the truck runs fine, It gets a BAD pinging around 2000-3500 rpm's when the truck is really COLD. ford said the cpu needed to be reflashed. i never went in for that but i have had that problem for a while and never had bad bad MPG. any ideas guys?!?! please let me know

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gas

i know what u mean... i used to get like 75+ per 1/4 tank now i am lucky if i fill it up to get 200 mpg out of a full tank..... WTF????

I can't imagine what could cause you to get 2mpg but not trip a CEL. Does the exhaust smell alright?

yup everything seems fine. like i said i might not be getting 2 mpg but its low. i filled up allmost on E and i have 132 miles on the trip. no idea. anyone?

So its happened on more than one tank? Maybe it was just bad gas?

ya like i said it seems like it was ever since gas prices went up and its not bad gas i goto a dif gas station every time. never the same place.

Mike

Well, I would run some injector cleaner thru it, check everything under the hood, vacuum lines/fuel lines... check for something obvious like fuel leaks.
You aren't doing something silly like driving with your parking brake on or in 4wd or anything are you?
Thats very weird.

Nope everything is fine.. im v8 so i have AWD no 4wd. i was just thinking and this all started when i get new tires. I just got new goodyear at/s I didnt check the pressure in them what should they be at? as soon as this rain stops i will go check. also i need to get an alignment i know but would tires cause this bad of gas MPG? can somone find me the right PSI i should have my tires at? thanks

Mike

Do the chalk method for the best PSI. Let me dig up a link.

Usually low 30s i think...
Edit:
Dead Link Removed
3rd post, GJarrett's.

Find a place that sells BG 44K, it runs around $18.50

Add it when you fill up and then don't fill up again until your almost on E.

Chris

mike.. ive been gettin some crappy mpg too. i have the same x as you basically..a nd im gettin about 40 mpg per 1/4. Im hoping its just the "winter mix" and hopefully when the weather gets better the gas mpg will improve.

chris.. what is bg 44k?

Have you actually measured the mileage, not just looking at the instrument?

I would recommend hooking an OND II scanner up to the truck and monitoring the function of the O2 sensors.

Good luck.....

BG products are "professional grade"

http://www.bgprod.com/
Dead Link Removed

BG 44k for the fuel every 7500
I like getting the follow every 2 years (24-30k miles)

Tranny Flush
Engine Oil flush
Brake fluid flush
Power steering flush
Cooling flush

If you have a stinky AC try the BG Frigi-Clean.

Their MOA (motor Oil Additive) is also good stuff, it helped quiet down my 94 4.0 OHV w/120k miles

You have to find a "real" mechanic shop but some dealers are on the program even a "GoodYear" dealer out in No. Virginia does BG.

Dead Link Removed

Chris

I would never use any kind of flush on my truck except a cooling system flush ( if needed ).

I would never trust the gas guage on any vehicle, especially a Ford...seems Ford's gas guages really suck at being accurate.

Originally posted by Majisto
I would never trust the gas guage on any vehicle, especially a Ford...seems Ford's gas guages really suck at being accurate.
Along with most other guages...

If the Fuel Pressure Regulator is bad you'll run rich all the time and cause bad gas mileage also.

i have also noticed my truck is a lot slower then it should be/has been.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mikke I have the same complaints as you. I think it is the northeast gas. Mine has dropped on average 3 mpg and I had a tank that was 7 mpg which is around half of what I expect, maybe a little more. I dont know what it is, they charge more and you get less. I dont know if it is the gas but I would sure like to find out so I can see if I am can fix it
Gary

Back